Why become a member? ×

Very Frustrating

timmo

I have been going to lessons for a year or so, and the tutor is moving away, so i found another tutor. I went to him yesterday for the first time.He seemed to be really good, and i think he would have been ideal. However, i got an email from him today explaining he was packing up in 6 months time. Not sure whether i should stay with him for 6 more months, or find someone else. Maybe i would be better of with Scotts Bass Lessons on youtube. E ither way it is frustrating as the new chap seemed really good, as did my original tutor. Just a message of frustration really

[quote name='lowdowner' timestamp='1410724977' post='2552459']
How far are you OK travelling timmo? I've found a great teacher based in Stourbridge and I'm OK travelling from Cheltenham to there once every two weeks:

[url="http://stevenswiftmusic.weebly.com"]http://stevenswiftmusic.weebly.com[/url]
[/quote]He certainly looks good, but i was hoping for someone a bit closer. With 2 bass tutors packing up in Gloucester, it does look like i will need to travel, as there is going to be a shortage around here.

I'd keep going to this new one for the 6 months then decide if you still need the lessons, you'll be nearing two years worth of lessons by that point, unless you're trying to do grades or learn the deeper theory stuff you might not still need them.

Scotts bass lessons are interesting but they're more just useful tips or fun to play lines rather than proper lessons (though I've not done his paid academy stuff).

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1410725888' post='2552484']
Why do you need a tutor? I've never felt the need for one.
[/quote]
Because some people want to learn more than they would learn on their own.

Go to the new guy while he's still teaching and get the most out of it that you can.When those lessons end, it could be worth
looking further afield. It's worth traveling for a good teacher.

Edited by Doddy

[/quote]

OK, at the risk of getting shot down (.. and not trying to divert the thread either ) I have to sort of agree.

Once upon a time you either had lessons or you didnt. ...these days however why would anyone bother with a local tutor who (probably) failed to make it in the music business, when there are the afore mentioned excellent Scotts Bass lessons online.

I'm not going to shoot you down.... but I will try to educate you.

I play with a lot of great musicians who teach. They teach privately and in schools and teach to a recognised curriculum. These guys are top players and good tutors.

There must be many more out there. You've just got to locate them.

Sorry to hear your tutor is moving away
.... and that this is happening twice!

If he is good - stick with him for the moment anyway
You can learn a lot in 6 months - it's all good practice anyway, I'd say....

At least you will be more likely to recognise a good tutor, or one that suits your learning
by the time you need to find another one (if indeed you do need another)

A good bass teacher is more about being a good teacher than being a good bassist. They're not mutually exclusive, but the key element is the teaching. There are few musicians of any instrument that could not benefit from a good teacher. Not all wish to, but they could. Of course, if one is 'done' with learning, that's fine, but, for my part, I hope that that notion never takes me. To each his/her own.

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Pukie' timestamp='1410783873' post='2553027']

OK, at the risk of getting shot down (.. and not trying to divert the thread either ) I have to sort of agree.

Once upon a time you either had lessons or you didnt. ...these days however why would anyone bother with a local tutor who (probably) failed to make it in the music business, when there are the afore mentioned excellent Scotts Bass lessons online.
[/quote]
As good as some online lessons are one problem is that there is are a lot of bad 'lessons' out there.There is no sh*t filter.
The other problem is that there is no personal comeback.It's good to have someone there to be able to correct your mistakes
and tell you what you are doing wrong.You don't get that when you go it alone, and consequently I find that you can progress
faster and more thoroughly when you have good lessons.
With regard to tutors having (probably) failed in the business, that is utter bullshit. There are many great players who teach while
maintaining a very good career as a working musician. Try telling me that the guys that I've studied with have failed in the
buisness.

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1410784610' post='2553040']
Sorry to hear your tutor is moving away
.... and that this is happening twice!

If he is good - stick with him for the moment anyway
You can learn a lot in 6 months - it's all good practice anyway, I'd say....

At least you will be more likely to recognise a good tutor, or one that suits your learning
by the time you need to find another one (if indeed you do need another)
[/quote]
Yep totally agree

[/quote]

In the classical world even performers at the very top of their game often continue to have lessons (master classes) because it gives them a different perspective on the instrument, performance, technique, repertoire etc.

Not everyone wants to continue to learn, and teachers aren't the only way, but for many people it provides a framework to be more than they'd be if they were self taught.

For me, at my very early stages, it helps me to focus on what to learn, what bad habits to avoid, and ways to get exposure to techniques and ideas that would have taken me years to fathom. For me, they're worth every penny.

The main reason for lessons for me,is that I want to learn to read music and apply it to an instrument. I feel the advantages would be good. If, for example i applied to play bass guitar for kc and the sunshine tribute band for a tour starting in 2 months time but the position is filled. However they inform me that the trumpeter can't tour so it is mine if interested. As I will be able to read music I will be in a position to learn the trumpet in 2 months. Granted it is an unlikely scenario.

As it happens I saw an ad for a tutor from this very site, so I am booked up for this Thursday. It involves going further than I would've liked,but bass tutors are thin on the ground around here.
Thanks all for the advice

[quote name='lowdowner' timestamp='1410789013' post='2553123']
In the classical world even performers at the very top of their game often continue to have lessons (master classes) because it gives them a different perspective on the instrument, performance, technique, repertoire etc.

Not everyone wants to continue to learn, and teachers aren't the only way, but for many people it provides a framework to be more than they'd be if they were self taught.

For me, at my very early stages, it helps me to focus on what to learn, what bad habits to avoid, and ways to get exposure to techniques and ideas that would have taken me years to fathom. For me, they're worth every penny.
[/quote]

Thanks, it was a genuine question. I have been playing bass for 40 years and never had a lesson in my life. I'm sure my playing is full of bad habits but it's too late to change my ways now!

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1410801287' post='2553332']
Of course not. It was obviously an exaggeration. But if you learn to read music,it gives you an advantage if you want to learn any other type of instrument.tab is pretty limiting and I would never be able to read music on my own
[/quote]

This is true for those reading from several staves, not just treble, bass or whatever. The underlying principles are the same, of course, but reading treble if you've only ever read bass, or vice versa, can slow one right down. Just sayin'.

[/quote]
This^ a couple of books,playing with diffent gutarists and the fun of exploring discovering etc is great.
only imo of course....... i think it helps with being more creative.
bit biased as i tought myself from when i was a teen (so tons of time on my hands)

Edited by danbowskill

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1410803436' post='2553372']
This is true for those reading from several staves, not just treble, bass or whatever. The underlying principles are the same, of course, but reading treble if you've only ever read bass, or vice versa, can slow one right down. Just sayin'.
[/quote]Perhaps i should have used the Trombone as an example, but i still think reading music is advantageous over just reading tab.