Why become a member? ×

Guitar Wiring: P90 and Humbucker with only two holes?

alstocko

Hey guys,

I have a guitar wiring problem.

I have a guitar that was just a humbucker with volume, tone and jack.

I've just installed a P90 in a neck position, is there any way I can get away without routing more holes?

I was thinking maybe a 3 way switch, concentric pot with master volume and tone and jack. could anyone draw a diagram for me?

Is KioGon still making harnesses?

Thanks,

Alec

Loads of diagrams on the net.

[url="http://www.guitarelectronics.com/media/img/guitarelectronics/W650-H550-Bffffff/W/wd2hh3t11_00.jpg"]Here's[/url] one.

Ignore the North Finish /South finish part for he P90, it should just have the two wires. (the humbucker may be wired internally so you might just have the two wires from there too.)

Just be wary of the type of 3 way switch you use. The Les Paul style ones require a much bigger hole than a pot.
You could try a micro-switch (on-on-on) or a better fit would be a 3 position rotary switch instead,[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KCX2-3-2P3T-2-Pole-3-Throw-Single-Deck-Band-Channel-Rotary-Switch-/191197452030?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item2c844196fe"] like this one[/url]
but wiring would be slightly different for that type.

I should add. A dual concentric pot for volume tone might be tricky to do properly because you need a different taper.
Fender might do one for the stack-knob Jazz basses, though they will probably be 250k (single coil) and ideally you'll want 500k for humbucker.

In all honesty though, I would just drill the hole and have a conventional switch. I imagine you've already had to make a hole for the extra pickup anyway!