Why become a member? ×

Hermes, classic delivery method.

gelfin

I was expecting a delivery last Wednesday, so when I get home on Monday and find a Tried to post card from Hermes through letterbox I am a bit surprised.

Closer reading of the card to find out what to do tells me "In the green bin"

The green bin is for garden waste and is normally collected on a Monday.

I look in green bin, it hasn't been emptied, still full of garden waste and a Mondolin.

Lucky or what?

My wife got a new sewing machine from her mum for her birthday, to be delivered by My Hermes. When the delivery date was a long forgotten speck on the horizon my wife called the place it was coming from. They said they'd call back. When they did they said it had gone missing and that they'd send a new one. A few days after the new delivery date a sewing machine finally turned up. The box was a mess but the contents were fine. Then, a while later, the second machine turned up. It was supposed to be signed for but had been put in the utility room with no note.

Then she got a call from the mail order place asking her to renew her membership, they didn't mention the sewing machine, so neither did she...

The second one is still sitting there in its box. As it has already been written off and it is from a large mail order store, she's thinking of swapping it with a friend for a fridge, which she has two of due to very similar circumstances. If it was me the guilt would kill me, but she's not as sensitive as me.

I had a package delivered last week, left with someone down the road who I don't even know and to top it all not even a card through the door, it was a good thing my neighbour was honest otherwise I would never have seen it.....I assume this was the new 3rd class mail system where they just drop the package off in the general postcode area and walk away

These sort of stories are regular occurrences and I'm a little surprised that people don't consider delivery logistics when ordering stuff online. I'm not condoning these sort of courier actions, but I imagine it's very frustrating for the delivery drivers who are usually on very tight schedules if they are to achieve their targets and pay bonuses.

If people are not going to be home when stuff is likely to be delivered, why can this not be noted and for the parcel to be kept at the depot for customer collection. That's what ends up happening anyway.

Or what about drop-off points? I've used this facility before now where the parcel is delivered to a locker in a local petrol station and the locker key code is emailed or texted so I can collect on the way home from work. Worked very well.

Or deliver to the local 'corner shop' or similar.

I'm just surprised this is still such a problem given that online shopping is so big these days. Goodness knows why the likes of Amazon is playing around with aerial drone deliveries if people are not actually going to be at home!

No Honest it was a mondolin, here's the evidence.
£20 off fleabay for a project I have in mind. A hunt through "ebay wierd and wonderfull" will give you a clue.

[URL=http://s970.photobucket.com/user/gelfin5959/media/Mandolin_zpsd10c2b74.jpg.html][IMG]http://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae181/gelfin5959/Mandolin_zpsd10c2b74.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

• 2 weeks later...

Not quite up there with a mandolin in the compost, but my wife had some clothes delivered yesterday by DX (new to me this bunch). My wife was in but they didn't seem to make much effort to let her know they were there. The toilet window that faces the road was open very slightly so the driver opened it a bit more and chucked the package through the window. Good job we're a toilet seat down family :o