Why become a member? ×

2 preamps into a stereo power amp bridged? Possible?

mattyb

I've got this crazy idea in my head for a new set up but I'm not sure if it's at all possible.

What I want to do is to take the stereo outs of my Line 6 M5 and send one side to my Aguilar Tonehammer pedal, and the other side to something a bit dirtier like a Sansamp bass driver. Then I want to be able to take those two 'channels' and feed them into a stereo power amp. From the power amp I want to run in a 'bridged' or mono mode into 1 cabinet so that I could effectively set a blend of clean and dirty out of the cab by the level of each channel in the power amp.

I'm not sure about the logistics of this since I've always had heads rather than rack gear but is it possible or would I need two cabs? Or would it just be a bad idea all together?! Just a thought thats been running through my head and something I wanted to explore. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

I think the key thing is whether the stereo power amp is capable of operating a bridged mode into a single speaker. If it is then I think you'll be ok. If not then you,ll need two cabs.

Another alternative might be to take the two separately processed channels into a small mixer and then into a single power amp/cab.

[quote name='mattyb' timestamp='1410648243' post='2551682']...Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!
[/quote]

I believe that in many (most...) stereo power amps, the second i/p is ignored when in bridge mode, so you can't 'feed' both i/ps separately. If you want to 'sum' it into one speaker, you'd need to mix before the power amp i/p.

[quote name='Chienmortbb' timestamp='1410682495' post='2551791']
It is bad because the two outputs feeding each other. As said earlier, use a small line mixer.
[/quote]

Ah okay! Just trying to suss out what the most simplified set up would be. So say I got something like [url="http://www.studiospares.com/mixers-analogue/behringer-micromix-mx400/invt/380070?source=215_74&gclid=Cj0KEQjw-dSgBRDb0oOl9MzxqMEBEiQAkHqy-RgTyGs21mAn1vQWLvikqHoyqNerV4Fg8CobTMq_7zMaAoyc8P8HAQ"]this[/url] (which, being behringer, may be a piece of junk! but something a long those lines) I could blend the two signals and that would be totally safe? I apologise for my ignorance in this subject!

Quite a few BCers have mentioned using the Boss LS 2 pedal where you can do lots of switching options with two send/return loops, designated A and B including having a mix of both A+B. GAK are selling them for £69 at the moment [url="http://www.gak.co.uk/en/boss-ls-2/1286?gclid=CPD2m4Om4MACFc7HtAodwgUARA"]http://www.gak.co.uk...CFc7HtAodwgUARA[/url]

Edited by HowieBass

Just tried it using an old HiFi - no, doesn't work... I mean you get sound out, but it just doesn't seem right. Using a small mixer worked far better, and was a lot easier to control the balance between the two signals, plus the VU meter also let me know if the signal was too hot and causing distortion..