Why become a member? ×

Stripped strap button hole

Les

Came out completely 30 seconds before the drummer started counting at Fridays gig. :o

Gaffa to the rescue and gig completed without mishap. :)

I've fixed this many times before by inserting bits of matches/toothpicks etc watched a couple of youtube vids this afternoon and it seems it's better if the bits of wood are glued in. Never done this but I'm going to later tonight.

Unless anyone knows of a better repair ??

cheers

Les

Yep, definitely need to use wood glue.

A more 'purist' repair would involve drilling out the hole to the same size as a bit of dowel and gluing that in instead. Then drill a pilot hole in the dowel before re-screwing. But I've used cocktail sticks successfully before.

Also, consider the size of screw. I don't like the sizes of the ones that come with strap locks and think they are too small. There's a fair bit of leverage and stress on them so I like to use a much longer screws. Not necessarily thicker, but certainly longer. I think I used 50mm Spax screws for my Schaller locks and have never had any problems with them coming loose.

Fair enough, toothpicks should be fine. Try to pack in as many as you can. I cut them off after pushing in as far as I can by hand, leaving about half an inch proud and then finally tapping them home with a hammer. But gently and firmly rather than bashing away until the bass splits! Then wait until the glue dries, probably overnight, before finally trimming off level with the bass.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1410740323' post='2552676']
Fix it permanently.... get Dunlop strap locks.
[/quote]

Really ? Had them years ago but as far as I can remember they work on the same principal. Unless things have moved on a lot
and I'm behind the times :blink:

To be honest, I think that's the best long-term real solution.

Obviously the bass in question is in need of a hole repair as well, but I would definitely use a much longer screw than supplied with strap locks, or originally used for the studs. In fact, I have done.

There's a lot of leverage on those two points of attachment!