Why become a member? ×

Ordered a G&L from USA

Bassnut62

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1410728991' post='2552554']
Make sure you keep on at them about delivery, stories of 4 month actual build times are fairly common :(
[/quote]

Bloody hope not! I need that white on white Strat in my hands ASAP!
Thanks for the heads up.

Edited by Bassnut62

Amongst a couple of Asats and Invader XL 6 stringers I also owned a Fullerton red Legacy Std for a couple of years before selling it to schnozalee on here. It was a lovely guitar,very light on the shoulder with a voice and a vibe of its own even though it looked like another regular Strat. Sound wise the pickups were vintage sounding and the PTB passive treble and bass controls were really nice to use. The S500 had a different tone with the MFD single coils and the micro switch but still has the PTB controls I think.
I love G&Ls even though I don't own any at the moment and I would gladly trade one of my Fenders + cash for a Legacy or S500.
Enjoy yours when it gets to you :-)

[quote name='dub_junkie' timestamp='1410907477' post='2554681']
Amongst a couple of Asats and Invader XL 6 stringers I also owned a Fullerton red Legacy Std for a couple of years before selling it to schnozalee on here. It was a lovely guitar,very light on the shoulder with a voice and a vibe of its own even though it looked like another regular Strat. Sound wise the pickups were vintage sounding and the PTB passive treble and bass controls were really nice to use. The S500 had a different tone with the MFD single coils and the micro switch but still has the PTB controls I think.
I love G&Ls even though I don't own any at the moment and I would gladly trade one of my Fenders + cash for a Legacy or S500.
[/quote]

Hey Dubster,

I bought my first G&L off you many moons ago - it was the Black Asat Special with Tort guard. It was the first decent guitar (as opposed to bass) I have ever owned and I still have it and love it. Best of all I have finally become a competent guitarist with that instrument, becasue it's been such a joy to play. In fact it's because of the MFD pups on that guitar that I am getting this S500 with its MFD pups; also the G&L Strats have such a great trem system, so looking forward to having a floating trem that I can rely on.

I remember naively being amazed at how many beautiful guitars you had at the time too. This S500 will be number five in my collection of electric guitars. I now realise just how different one guitar is to another; much more so than with basses I reckon.

Anyway, I hope you're well and still colouring Scotland with your music.

Here's a mock up the S500 I am getting. the dealer has promised me a spare white guard he has too, as I am torn between white or mint guard.

Edited by Bassnut62

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1410882350' post='2554269']
Just checked and the last one we ordered was quoted at 8 weeks and took 15 :(
[/quote]

Oh well, at least Mrs Bassnut might have forgotten about this purchase by the time it arrives and I will be out of the doghouse by then and able to enjoy playing it.
Funny how it doesn't seem to work the other way round when it's a new bag or pair of shoes that arrives!

[quote name='dub_junkie' timestamp='1410907477' post='2554681']
The S500 had a different tone with the MFD single coils and the micro switch but still has the PTB controls I think.
[/quote]

Yes, the S500 does have the PTB controls and a micro switch that gives the Tele option of neck and bridge pup together (or even all three pups at once).

BTW - The deal I have found (here in the UK) for this USA S500, built to my specification is unbelievable.....just £775 + about £15 for locking tuners. That is total price, incl shipping and duties (to be collected from Hertforshire). Hence I couldn't pass this opportunity up. Apparently G&L have a 15% sale on in USA until November too and this dealer is passing on full discount. If anyone wants to know where, just drop me a PM.

Edited by Bassnut62

Doh! I should have recognised your username. Been a long time....
Ah yes the Asat Special. I preferred the tone of that one to anything else I had at the time and did a fair bit of recording at home with that guitar. The Invader XL Std was another guitar I had a soft spot for and a really underrated guitar...like G&Ls version of hardtail Wolfgang Special. I actually had the Legacy Std, the Asat Special and the Invader XL all at the same time. Then decided to get married and off they went to the wedding fund :-(
The only thing I managed to hold onto was my Ovations. In time I will hopefully get more G&Ls and a Musicman or two. Like most of us I am a creature of habit and old habits die hard!!
I am sure you will love your S500. Did you go for any options eg binding,neck tint?
Keir

[quote name='dub_junkie' timestamp='1410966641' post='2555163']
I am sure you will love your S500. Did you go for any options eg binding,neck tint?
Keir
[/quote]

I've kept it pretty stock really, partly to keep cost so low; but also because I like the basic styling of G&Ls as they come stock anyway.
I chose standard 12" radius #1 neck with C profile and medium jumbo frets. I was tempted to go for vintage frets, as I like those on a '94 MIJ Fender '54 Strat I have; but reckon I would probably be better stick with recommended option of medium jumbo frets, as that is what George & Leo chose for it as standard and they tended to get everything right first time. A few forums say the vintage frets don't feel right on 12" radius and seem too small for it. I chose rosewood board, bone nut, locking tuners is light satin finish on neck. I didn't go for any binding on neck or body or half/quarter sawn neck. So my only upgrade is locking tuners.

What options were on your Legacy, particularly neck, board, radius and frets and what were they like to play?

Edited by Bassnut62

All options on mine were pre determined. The Legacy Std was just a Legacy that was made from three pieces of alder rather than two. The only finishes were Lake placid Blue,candy Apple red,white and Fullerton red. The guitars came with matching headstocks, aged plastic parts and came in a G&L gig bag rather than case. The frets were medium jumbo on a 12" radius board. iirc the neck was a C shape but felt quite big and clubby. Pickups were Alnico 5 single coils and the tremolo was the standard G&L fully floating fulcrum system and was rock solid with no issues returning to pitch. The guitar came with the usual case candy and all the documentation including certificate of authenticity were included. The Standards were only produced for a few years I believe.
I bought mine direct from a dealer in the States via Ebay. I traded it for a very Pino(ish) 2EQ Stingray fretless so I had no problems at the time letting it go after having owned it 4 years. Trouble is I've often wished I still had it now.

Edited by dub_junkie

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again

I am wondering about board radius and choice of frets on a G&L S500 (Strat).
I am torn between the standard 12" radius with medium jumbo frets and the 7.25" radius with vintage frets; the old school neck would cost an extra £75.
I am mainly a funky rhythm player; but do drop some runs up high on the neck, though rarely anything approaching an actual solo.

I have played a USA G&L 12" with medium jumbos and it felt nice; but I haven't been able to find a G&L 7.25" with vintage frets to try.
The G&L Asat I have has 7.25" radius, but medium jumbo frets; which do feel a little awkward for licks high up the board.
My Fender Strat is about 7.50" radius with vintage frets and plays/feels great for rhythm and is OK for high licks.

So, does anyone have any recomendations or experiences to share on which would be most suitable G&L neck to go for?
Thoughts on these kind of neck options would be welcome, even if they come without actual experience of G&L necks.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

first view of new G&L here

[url="https://www.flickr.com/photos/70338297@N03/sets/72157648504721465/"]https://www.flickr.c...57648504721465/[/url]

This is the actual guitar made for me, in a warehouse in USA prior to shipping to UK. Light is not good so it looks different colour.
It is actually plain white with mint guard. It still looks sweet in these pics though...

full final price in my hand is £795...unbelievable for a new G&L, custom-made in USA to my specifications .....

Edited by Bassnut62

[quote name='Bassnut62' timestamp='1413288777' post='2576714']
yes, that's right £795 is all I pay in total....I don't even understand how it is possible; but frankly I don't care.....just gimme my axe!!!!
[/quote]

Hi Bassnut62,

Sorry if you know this already but if not just be aware that there will [i]more than likely[/i] be Import Duty & VAT charged to you when the guitar is delivered to you/picked up.
If that happens then it will be approx. 20 to 25% of the £795 you have already paid. Sometimes stuff sneaks through from the States, but not often.

[quote name='throwoff' timestamp='1413456720' post='2578365']
Yep, dealer please!
[/quote]

Apologies to bassnut62 for the reveal but it's a shame to keep them quiet and I don't quite understand why as they're a guitar dealer and the exposure here can only be a good thing!

Black Cat Strats in St. Albans - [url="http://www.black-cat-strats.co.uk/"]http://www.black-cat-strats.co.uk/[/url]
They operate on eBay and Facebook too.

I'm sure Andy would be happy with the exposure....I think he's doing it as a second or third income stream at the moment, but is seriously considering going more mainstream with this business.

Mine is already in UK from USA and price is double confirmed at £795 after duty and shipping and comes with deluxe tolex hard case and certificates and tags. Turnaround seems pretty fast, I ordered on 13/9 and it will probably be with Andy by 17/10. I guess I may have just got lucky and my ordere landed at G&L just as they were about to make a batch of S500s; but he says delivery to UK is rarely more than two months from placing the order. Only downside is the warranty will be with the US dealer with which he deals; but it's a G&L, so who needs a warranty anyway.

[quote name='Bassnut62' timestamp='1413466115' post='2578500']
I'm sure Andy would be happy with the exposure....I think he's doing it as a second or third income stream at the moment, but is seriously considering going more mainstream with this business.

Mine is already in UK from USA and price is double confirmed at £795 after duty and shipping and comes with deluxe tolex hard case and certificates and tags. Turnaround seems pretty fast, I ordered on 13/9 and it will probably be with Andy by 17/10. I guess I may have just got lucky and my ordere landed at G&L just as they were about to make a batch of S500s; but he says delivery to UK is rarely more than two months from placing the order. Only downside is the warranty will be with the US dealer with which he deals; but it's a G&L, so who needs a warranty anyway.
[/quote]

Thanks Bassnut62 and you must put some pics up once you have it please.

[quote name='Bassnut62' timestamp='1413203117' post='2575759']
first view of new USA G&L S500 here

[url="https://www.flickr.com/photos/70338297@N03/sets/72157648504721465/"]https://www.flickr.c...57648504721465/[/url]

This is the actual guitar made for me, in a warehouse in USA prior to shipping to UK. Light is not good so it looks different colour.
It is actually plain white with mint guard. It still looks sweet in these pics though...
[/quote]

I will post better pics when I get it that show colours more accurately....