Why become a member? ×

Ashdown heads ampeg cabs

grubs

Hello to anyone who is interested! Back on here after a few years away.

I have been running an Ashdown Evo 3. Head (575 watt at 4 ohms) with an ashdown 6x10 (4ohms) cab for the last two years. sounds great, plenty of head room etc etc.

My problem is I have a dodgy back, and have recently decided to get rid of the 6x10, it was killing me! (what possessed me to get such a big rig? Vanity, Ego, Stupidity!!)
I have traded it in for an Ampeg PN 410 HLF, a much more user friendly Cab, but still with plenty of power at 850 watts ( cab is due to arrive this week)

Does anybody out there have any experience of pairing an Ashdown head with Ampeg cabs? The Ampeg PN 410 HLF is an 8 ohm cab, so I reckon I will probably get 300 watts from the Ashdown evo? This should be enough for the venues I am playing, pubs, clubs etc.

I play classic / modern rock in a five piece band. (2 x guitars, drums and me! So I need to cut through 2 x Gibson L/P) playing Rick 4003, fender p bass USA with Seymour Duncan P/U & hip shot bridge, and a Sandberg California Custom supreme which for anyone who doesn't know will go toe to toe with any Fender or Stingray!

Thoughts on the above would be appreciated.

Thanks
G

No experience of pairing Ashdown with Ampeg, but 300 watts into a 410 should be plenty. Cutting through, especially in rock always says less bass (and treble) more mids to me. Ampeg cabs are nice and middy anyway, so I think this set-up will work nicely.

I used my Ashdown ABM 500 with Ampeg cabs a couple of times. Did not like the sound one bit I'm sad to say, they didn't seem to match at all - the Ampeg cab seemed to turn the Ashdown into a load of undefined mud. And I had the amp set to a very trebly grind!
I was always very happy with Ashdown cabs, unsurprisingly, but the best match I ever had with that amp was an ancient Mesa Boogie 1512. I've never heard a tone quite like it.

Like Cameron, I've used this combination at a studio in Glasgow. They have an Ampeg 8x10 in every room with a variety of heads - mostly Ashdown though.

I think it sounds fine, not hugely different to my own Ashdown cab. It is a bit 'vintage' sounding I suppose, a bit wooly.. Just how I like it!