Why become a member? ×

Status Neck Question

CamdenRob

Hi guys, I'm after some more knowledge from the BC font....

I've seen a nice Status at a good price that I'm quite intrigued by... only thing is the action is described as 'very low'... now I don't like a low action, I find the strings clank and buzz when I dig in (poor technique probably but there we go) ordinarily I'd give the truss rod a tweak, but do status necks even have a truss rod? how would you adjust the action if it wasn't factory set how you liked it?

I did have a stealth II several years ago before it got nicked, but I've completely forgotten if it had any degree of adjustability in the neck...

Edited by CamdenRob

From memory, early statuses didn't have truss rods, later ones did. I'm not sure of the time of change though.
However, IMO raising the bridge saddles is generally a better way of raising the action, which any Status will obviously be able to do.
Once a neck is set with a decent and appropriate relief, the height of the action is then set with the bridge saddles. Thats the basic principle that I use for setting actions.

H is right IIRC that early Statii didn't have truss rods but the newer stuff, for example my 2007 Streamline does. Never had to touch the rod in the five years I've owned it. I briefly had a Stealth 1 some years back without the rod, the neck was pretty flat and I considered that I'd use the bridge to change string height - however when I changed the (ubiquitous) 30 - 90 to 45 - 105 I didn't need to make any adjustment as the neck is so stiff (?).

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1410811495' post='2553528']
My Washburn status has a truss rod. Thing about status necks, is that the bright sound doesn't hide the clanking sound IMHO .very bright
[/quote]

hmmm... maybe I'd better try it before taking a blind punt on it. I don't mind bright but I don't want strings clanking on the fretboard...

The Status Energy I had wasn't bright and clanky at all, whereas the S2 I had was. From what I have read, and also in my experience, STatus (and graphite necks in general) don't all have clanky bright tone. It's just that graphite necks were popular on basses which were built in that Mark King era where a bright clanky tone was being aimed for, so they rather unfortunately got a reputation for that.
The attack and sustain on a graphite neck "should" on average be better than a wood neck, but whether it's perceivable to the human ear is debatable to some.
In my experience the fret material has more effect on "bright clankiness".

I dig in a fair bit and don't have any issue with the action or strings clanking and/or buzzing on either my S2 Classic or Streamline. I've raised the action slightly on my S2 via the saddles out of preference but the Streamline is as delivered. If you like the Status sound and graphite necks then go for it!