Why become a member? ×

New guitar neck

Lord Sausage

Don't know if this is in the right section but neither is my brain. Anyway, a friend of mine is getting a guitar build in a Ibanez Jem style. He has been quoted £600 for the neck. As he ones it made from one piece of wood with a rosewood fingerboard on top. Does this seem like a realistic price? He reckons it's that much as it's a one piece! (inc headstock).

It's a little steep yes. It's not really a one piece neck if it has a rosewood board and Maple neck, a one piece is when there is no separate fingerboard and the truss rod installed from the rear (which would cost a little more). So what he has been quoted for is the same as most other necks out there. A multi lam neck would/should still cost more than a one piece, so I'm not seeing the logic. Feel free to point your friend in our direction if he needs another quote (we do custom necks).

Depends on exactly what he wants but considering the price of bolt on replacements for stratocasters £200 would get a very nice off the shelf neck (most of the differences from the Jem are minor in terms of what they cost to produce such profile, fingerboard radius, finish and aesthetic things like headstock shape)

One piece in this instance shouldn't make much difference due to the construction methods used.

Ibanez Jems aren't going to be quite so well catered for by the mass market but any decent luthier should be able to supply a custom built neck from a choice of materials (rosewood plus a choice of maples - flame, burl etc.) and for £600 I'd be expecting extras like LEDs and custom inlays to be honest.

Get him to shop around: Manton customs definitely, Warmoth for comparison purposes but I'd say keep business in the UK where possible as there will always be small, independent luthiers who will do a good job and provide excellent service.

I know I'm working on limited information here but if that £600 is for a standard bolt on neck then I'd question how much he is paying for the full guitar if it's from the same supplier.