Why become a member? ×

yamaha BB425x and BB1025x

lancer

No experience of the 5-ers, but I've played both the 424 and 1024.

I'd been umming and aahing over a BB424 for a while, been into some shops and tried 'em, and thought they were great - especially given the price. But when I picked up a 1024 it just felt like an altogether better instrument...but for reasons that I couldn't quite put my finger on.

I think the 10xx has slightly different hardware - bridge/saddles, possibly tuners...can't remember - and the nickel nut and spline jointed body, and different pickups. No big deal individually perhaps, but it somehow it all adds up to make the whole thing feel more "alive" and responsive.

Soundwise...to me, the 1024 is more rounded and smoother - still a Rock Monster, but whereas the 424 could be a bit shouty and spikey at times, digging in and heavy pick playing with the 1024 can keep the in-your-face aggressiveness but with a bit more weight and authority.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not knocking the 424 - I think they're fantastic, and I'm thinking seriously about getting one. The individual differences aren't great, but ISTM that a number of small improvements add up to the 1024 being an instrument that's overall quite a big step up.

The 5-ers could be altogether different though...

I upgraded from a BB415 (which I think has the same pickups as the BB425X) to BB1025X. Much more clarity in the P pickup, especially on the low B. I used to only like the BB415 in the middle pickup position as I found the P pup a bit too dark and the low B to sound quite 'undefined' like it was hard to detect the pitch of the note; but with the 1025X I often play the P pup soloed and get great definition on the low B. Not sure if the difference is down to pickups, bridge, nut or construction, probably bit of everything plus a good old dose of confirmation bias I expect!

I liken it to going HD - I can see the improvement, but my Mum still watches Freeview in standard def on channels 1-4 and can't tell the difference!