Why become a member? ×

Comparing EUBs - how does the Aria SWB compare to the NS Design?

Marc S

Hi there,

Until recently, I had a Stagg EUB, and it was fine
It was a great introduction to the world of DB playing, and I'm glad I took that route.
To anyone thinking of trying out a double bass, I'd recommend one

Anyhow, I wanted to upgrade to an NS design EUB
and recently found there are also several options here
What with different models like the NXT and so on

But I've also become interested in the Aria SWB
Just wondering how it compares with the NS design?
The aria looks like it should have more resonant qualities,
and therefore, hopefully sound a bit more like an acoustic DB?
Especially the later model with the 2 pickups....

What I'm interested in, are the thoughts of you good BC'ers
How do they stack up, in terms of sound, and in terms of build quality?

The NS design EUB's are very well thought of by many,
but what about the Aria's? Also - what about the differences in the NS Design basses?
Are the Eastern European built examples that much better than the cheaper range?

Cheers all

Marc

As nice as the ns basses are I find them less like a double bass than a sorted stagg, that's fine in its own right as its not a double bass, as soon as I tried one I decided I needed a DB rather than a better quality eub for me personally, all those finger board markings confuse the hell out of me! Now the Yamaha silent bass on the other hand..... :D

Edited by stingrayPete1977

Thanks for that walbassist
I assume the magnetic pickups on the Aria don't work with silver slaps though?

I've got a set of Innovation Honey strings
These have a nylon type core, but are metal wound
So these should work with mag pickups, I assume?

Cheers again
Keep the thoughts coming folks....

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1410786826' post='2553084']
Thanks for that walbassist
I assume the magnetic pickups on the Aria don't work with silver slaps though?

I've got a set of Innovation Honey strings
These have a nylon type core, but are metal wound
So these should work with mag pickups, I assume?

Cheers again
Keep the thoughts coming folks....
[/quote]

Correct, the Silver Slaps are piezo only, so the cheaper SWB Lite would be the logical choice

Honeys should work, yes.

I should add my main upright now is a BSX Allegro, which is far better than the Aria was.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re3pmUR6Oxs&list=UUD0IgAym2tXB_Ud2i7SFWBQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re3pmUR6Oxs&list=UUD0IgAym2tXB_Ud2i7SFWBQ[/url]

Edited by walbassist

Thanks again for that walbassist
That BSX Allegro looks & sounds great :)
Unfortunately, I won't be able to opt for one of those.... yet

But would you say the aria was a good option, compared to the NS?
Obviously, it's only an opinion - but it's good to hear the thoughts of as many players as possible

Cheers again

Marc

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1410792239' post='2553168']
But would you say the aria was a good option, compared to the NS?
Obviously, it's only an opinion - but it's good to hear the thoughts of as many players as possible
[/quote]

I am actually selling my BSX here on Basschat, as I've decided I don't play it enough to warrant keeping it, plus I'd prefer a 4 string. I will almost certainly be downsizing to an Aria.

Eub are a funny territory aren't they? The NS basses are much better built than a stagg and probably sound more like a DB but they look and feel less like one than a stagg, that can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on what you want from it, if some one wants to go to a full DB in the near future I still think the stagg is better but if you want something that plays easier and a bit more fretless bass feel wise yet sounds good the NS has it. The bsx looks and sounds great but I've not played one so I'd be interested how it feels in comparison with a real DB?

Edited by stingrayPete1977

Hi Marc Ive got an NS EUB but live I only use a Double Bass. I use the NS to practice with.

The NS is a solid block of wood so the way I see it is that apart from the string length, essentially it is an electric bass (sounding like a big fretless). If I were to go out gigging with an EUB (to sound like a double bass) I would buy a Yamaha Silent Bass as played by Chris Minh Doky. The difference being that I think it has some sort of resonant chamber as opposed to none on the NS. I tried one briefly and it sounded good.

Ive not tried the Aria but looking at it, it does have more of a resonant chamber than the NS?

The BSX Allegro (above video) looks interesting as well as it says it has a sound post and bass bar just like a Double Bass, so again even more of a resonant chamber. Ive not tried one though.

Ive got a CRT4 NS bass but as you say there are cheaper NXT basses. As far as I can tell the cheaper ones have a cheaper finish to the wood, they have cheaper internal electronics and also a cheaper stand. If I was going to buy one again I would still go for the more expensive CRT type version over the NXT versions for all these reasons. Im sure the NXTs are fine though.

Another thought is that I love the minimalist look of the NS but when physically playing any EUB anything that can act as the upper bouts (both sides) of a real double bass is really really useful to playing the thing as it tends to wobble around A LOT without them! Various basses have add ons the can be attached. The body side can keep the bass more stable and the other side helps reference notes and aids in thumb position playing. My NS looks very cool but has none of these.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1410798553' post='2553286']
The bsx looks and sounds great but I've not played one so I'd be interested how it feels in comparison with a real DB?
[/quote]

[quote name='TheG' timestamp='1410825527' post='2553689']

The BSX Allegro (above video) looks interesting as well as it says it has a sound post and bass bar just like a Double Bass, so again even more of a resonant chamber. Ive not tried one though.[/quote]

Tha advantage the BSX has over the Aria and NS ranges is that it's a proper acoustic body, just trimmed down, so you get that proper acoustic tone. It also has a neck and fingerboard that's much more ike a readl DB, thumb stop included.

I'm persuading myself to keep mine as I write this! :blink:

[quote name='TheG' timestamp='1410825527' post='2553689']
Hi Marc Ive got an NS EUB but live I only use a Double Bass. I use the NS to practice with.

The NS is a solid block of wood so the way I see it is that apart from the string length, essentially it is an electric bass (sounding like a big fretless). If I were to go out gigging with an EUB (to sound like a double bass) I would buy a Yamaha Silent Bass......

Ive not tried the Aria but looking at it, it does have more of a resonant chamber than the NS?

The BSX Allegro (above video) looks interesting as well as it says it has a sound post and bass bar just like a Double Bass, so again even more of a resonant chamber. Ive not tried one though.

Ive got a CRT4 NS bass but as you say there are cheaper NXT basses. As far as I can tell the cheaper ones have a cheaper finish to the wood, they have cheaper internal electronics and also a cheaper stand. If I was going to buy one again I would still go for the more expensive CRT type version over the NXT versions for all these reasons. Im sure the NXTs are fine though.

Another thought is that I love the minimalist look of the NS but when physically playing any EUB anything that can act as the upper bouts (both sides) of a real double bass is really really useful to playing the thing as it tends to wobble around A LOT without them.....
[/quote]

Hi folks,

Yes, TheG - the Aria does have a resonant chamber - which is what is attracting me to this option
They aren't cheap, but similar price to a new NS

Thanks for the useful info on the NS basses too
For me personally, I wouldn't be distracted by the dots - as discussed earlier
but some useful info there re stands etc

I think the BSX and Yamaha are out of my price range
There are some good S/H NS basses on here from time to time

Oh the quandry continues - keep the comments & thoughts coming folks
.... its all useful info :)

Cheers all
Marc

EDIT: Link to the Aria EUB
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=aria+swb+04+electric+double+bass&biw=1280&bih=923&tbm=isch&imgil=_i5H3-YmnbXDYM%253A%253BeJxx9m8VlfnyhM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.bassgear.co.uk%25252Fproduct%25252Faria-swb-04-upright-bass%25252F&source=iu&pf=m&fir=_i5H3-YmnbXDYM%253A%252CeJxx9m8VlfnyhM%252C_&usg=__1t9o_V9X18JVe16Y7vUaDPUipPw%3D&ved=0CEYQyjc&ei=hxIYVN_MHIXearOwgMAB#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=PwsR5BtJEmUmwM%253A%3BgKKSPcqfjZFUkM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.guitarandampshop.co.uk%252Facatalog%252FAriaSWB04.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.guitarandampshop.co.uk%252Facatalog%252FAria_SWB-04_Upright_Bass_Guitar.html%3B154%3B420

Edited by Marc S

Hi,

I replaced my double bass with an Aria SWB-04 thinking it would save space, silent practice etc. I sold it on after about 6 months. It was great, but mine didn't have the support bracket so it was almost impossible to play due to the bass spinning away and falling over and having to hold on to it with my left hand whilst playing. I would imagine, with the support bracket, it would actually have been really easy to play, action was very low for example.

Sound wise, I think the resonant chamber didn't really add all that much to be honest. The sound was quite hollow, probably more like a hollow body electric bass like a Jack Cassidy than like a double bass. It added that little extra bit of texture to the pickup sound when blended in so it sounded a bit less like a fretless bass but didn't make a massive difference. I've owned cheap acoustic bass guitars that sound more double bass-like, for example.

I also found the signal from the bass to be quite weak, I had to crank up my preamp pretty loud to be able to play through headphones and there's quite a bit of hiss form the elctrical system on these basses which can be another problem.

Hope that's helpful info?

I had an NS EUB last year.

It didn't feel at all like a 'real' DB, and didn't sound like one, it was very much like a large fretless bass.

I've now got a Yamaha SLB100, whack I like a lot. It's got a Fishman FC pickup fitted, and does to me at least, sound quite like an amplified DB.

:)

The Aria would have been very hard to cope with, without the support bracket as Burg says.

The NS has no support bracket but is held in place by the stand. You can get an optional spike and support bracket for it though to be able to play in a more traditional upright way.

I can relate to what ambient is saying having played an NS and Double Bass.

All useful info thanks guys
Yes, I would imagine the Aria would be tricky to hold, without the support bracket

Just a thought, but with the NS Stand
I wonder whether it would be possible to make something similar, for a Stagg or an Aria

I do like the hands-free stand idea
Even though it's not very DB-like
... I'm just thinking about ease of swapping between an EUB and a bass guitar,
and saving time & faffing about when playing live....

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1410883411' post='2554289']
People have made them for the stagg from old drum stools and there is a proper stand available too.
[/quote]

Is there a "hands free" stand for it stingrayPete?

I've been thinking about designing one,
possibly using the base of an old cymbal stand, or mic stand
and maybe an attachment, made of push-fit type plumbers fittings....
The biggest problem I can see, is how to attach some sort of plate to the body of the bass
without drilling holes in it etc :o

Maybe some sort of wrap around band? As in similar to some pickup mountings.....

Generally, I'm not particularly a fan of hands free DB stands
Or at least other BC'ers talked me out of them when I first ventured into this fascinating world....
But I'd like to give one a try, for expediency when doubling up live....

Any more thoughts, ideas, designs welcome as ever folks

Cheers again
Marc

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1410969375' post='2555192']
That's what I had seen done using the base of an old drum stool, basically the end pin just goes down the centre tube so it stands up like a little rocket!
[/quote]

That's simple, and genius stingrayPete!
Thanks for that - I'll be on the lookout for something I can adapt....

Cheers again good sir

Marc

PS. Why do I never get the obvious ideas?
Or the genius ideas? - are they one and the same thing? lol

I just thought I'd add my hat on this one. I bought my NS Design NXT5 about a month ago and love it, but here are some of my experiences that may help your decision:

1. The stand is great - no more looking for places to lie the instrument down when not in use, or silly stands that fall over when you're trying to slot the end pin into them. However, I do find myself tipping the stand up when getting excited to change the angle as I typically never used to stand still with my old upright - I'm sure someone will tell me this is bad technique (I've never had DB lessons).
2. I find it quite lively - the strings will ring for ages which is great for sustain, and it will feedback through your amp a lot more quickly than a guitar will if the gains are cranked.
3. The shop I got it from had set the action really low on it which is great from a bass guitarists view, but I find (being used to my old cheapy DB) that it probably is a bit low to dig in from the upright angle and possibly to bow with (I'm not a good arco player). I think I will need to look into raising the bridge slightly on mine. Too add to this, for me, the fretboard is too long, so at the comfortable arm length where I want to pluck the strings, there is still neck underneath so it's like playing over ramps.
4. I've noticed that when I play it, it does sound like a fretless as others have said, rather than a DB. However, everyone I've played it with, says it sounds great. Last night I was at a rehearsal which someone recorded using an iPhone in the room. I've listened to the recording, and noted that it does sound very DB like (to me), so maybe it's the effect of standing with it?
5. The fret dots took me a while to get my head around because every fret is dotted, unlike a guitar where it is usually every other one. I kept finding myself going for the gap in the middle instead of aiming for the next dot!

In summary - the above are the only obvious points I can think of that might make a difference to you, but these are little niggles I can live with as in the main I'm very happy. I did worry about getting the NXT and should I save up for the CR5, but I was never going to be able to justify that amount of cash and I am really pleased with the NXT so far. I am still a fair beginner with upright but my cheapy DB was a bit of a pig to play and I've come on leaps and bounds since getting the NXT.

Unfortunately I have no experience of the other EUB's (I was a bit blinkered because my mate has a CR4 and I fell in love) so I can't comment on those. I would love to A/B with my mates one day to see what the tone and quality differences etc are.

Edited by Huge Hands

Hi Huge Hands,

Thanks for your reply. As I said, it's always useful to hear the thoughts & experiences of others
even if they aren't quite the same as your own.....

The stand is just a plan for me, at the moment - but I will give it some thought, and experiment a bit
I take the point of it getting knocked over though - so I'll look for something sturdy

I've heard others talk about the additional dots on the NS besses
On another thread, someone suggested a dab of paint or a marker pen
to take out any that distract - which is a good idea IMO

Everyone seems to say that an EUB is never going to sound like an acoustic DB
and I'd add that they somehow don't "feel" quite the same either

I've heard a couple of NS basses that sounded great, and had a close proximation of DB sound
but the players were on large stages, with racks of equipment and sound engineers at hand....
Hearing an NS played in a pub - that certainly sounded more DB-like than the Stagg....

EDIT: Which brings me back to one of my original questions as to whether the Aria - having a small hollow body
has some of the resonance of an acoustic?

Yes, cheaper DB's can be more tricky to play, unless you've had them set up & tweaked by a good luthier....

Cheers again

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1411043573' post='2555845']
Which brings me back to one of my original questions as to whether the Aria - having a small hollow body
has some of the resonance of an acoustic?[/quote]

You've probably seen these, but...

This Aria has a hollow body (played by someone who doesn't appear to know what he's doing)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvic5gVvpSI[/media]

This one does not (played by someone who does appear to)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtfBF7lgDRI[/media]

Edited by walbassist