Why become a member? ×

Comparing EUBs - how does the Aria SWB compare to the NS Design?

Marc S

Personally I think its easy to say that this EUB and that EUB doesn't sound like a double bass but on the other hand when trying to amplify a double bass it can be hard to get a double bass to sound like a double bass naturally. The best results Ive had in amplifying a double bass live have been with a DPA microphone which is the closest thing to the real sound. Using double bass pickups can only ever approximate the sound of the double bass but some do it better than others. Ive found using a microphone gets the best results for me and in my main band I wouldn't consider a pickup. BUT you have to bear in mind that I an in the right situation to be able to amplify my bass in this way. Im very lucky! I do have pickups and use them occasionally but mainly not. When my musical situation changes I won't be able to use the microphone any more at all and will resort to having to use one of my 6 pickups (and be happy about it).

I bought my NS after starting on a double bass knowing that it wasn't going to replace the double bass I just loved the sound of them. I don't use it as much now due to musical situations but Im not going to get rid of it anytime soon.

I heard a guy last week playing a cheap double bass with an old electric bass amp, Spirocore strings and a Fishman BP 100 pickup. The sound wasn't exactly natural but I liked the sound regardless of what it was SUPPOSED to sound like. It fitted in well with the band and he was a good player so no issues there.

I think a good way to think about it is if you like the sound of it thats the one to go for. Ive have heard someone say they saw a guy playing an NS and it sounded EXACTLY like a double bass. Everyone is going to hear differently so its probably best to go by your own ears in the end bearing everyone else's opinions (which are all valid) in mind secondary.

As HugeHands mentioned the action of the NS bass when raised made the bass sound much better. Also TOP TIP! The NS also sounded much much better through my ART Tube Preamp adding a bit of warmth and body. I was amazed when I found that one out. It transformed the bass for me.

Also mentioned by HugeHands when you play a bass on a stand it is very convenient for swapping basses etc and I did really like this feature. But double basses are meant to be moved around as they are played, thats why they are designed to stand on a single point on the floor. So there are advantages and trade offs.

I think this is a cool thread with lots of good points

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1411043573' post='2555845']

Which brings me back to one of my original questions as to whether the Aria - having a small hollow body
has some of the resonance of an acoustic?

[/quote]

Im going to try to answer this but its only one opinion. I know these threads can end up forgetting the original questions.

The Aria does have a resonant chamber which will have some of the resonance of a double bass but a double basses resonant chamber is massive compared the the size of the Arias. So comparisons there are going to be very hard. Maybe its best to compare resonant chambers and their effects between different EUB's? For instance the NS bass doesn't have any resonant chamber and when compared to the Aria would sound more electric. That doesn't mean to say which one is best or which sound you prefer. I think looking at the two videos above even though the sound isn't the greatest I can hear elements of resonance and not. The bass on the video below looks and sounds to me like it has no resonant chamber. The Aria has a softer sound. But again i would go by which you prefer the sound of personally and not what it is supposed to sound like.

In the end though if you do want to play a double bass then the only way to go is a double bass. But if you don't then EUBs aren't secondary double basses to me they are a different instrument to both the electric and double (Ive got all three). More choice. Excellent stuff.

In listening to both videos above, I'd judge nothing from the first (good gracious..!); the second sounded convincingly like a db to me. Maybe not comparable to a concert db for symphony orchestra, but certainly not like an electric bass, fretless or not. To judge only from the video, I'd say that a chamber is a 'plus', but not essential, if the eub has a decent p/u.
Disclaimer : I'm an old, deaf drummer that couldn't tell a bow from an end-pin; what would I know..? :blush:[size=4] [/size]

Hi Marc,

The stand is just a plan for me, at the moment - but I will give it some thought, and experiment a bit
I take the point of it getting knocked over though - so I'll look for something sturdy
[/quote]

Sorry, you may have misunderstood me here. The NS stand, once screwed to the bass, is pretty sturdy, even when I get a bit excited and start leaning the instrument over onto 1 or 2 legs of the stand. I was referencing the comparison of trying to fit a DB into stand when not in use - the one I borrowed once kept falling over as I was trying to slot the end pin into it, so you were trying to chase a stand around the stage whilst holding the instrument, trying not to drop it!

My only worry is that the thread on the NS stand (or in the bass) feels like it might chew or strip over time as there is nothing to clip or seat the bass onto whilst you're trying to locate the thread into the bass.- something to be careful about.

I've heard others talk about the additional dots on the NS besses
On another thread, someone suggested a dab of paint or a marker pen
to take out any that distract - which is a good idea IMO

[/quote]

Erm.... each to their own. I'm finding it didn't take long to get used to and would be wary about drawing all over an instument I've just forked a wad of cash on. :-)

[quote name='Huge Hands' timestamp='1411050987' post='2555983']
Hi Marc,
.... each to their own. I'm finding it didn't take long to get used to and would be wary about drawing all over an instument I've just forked a wad of cash on. :-)
[/quote]

Fair point indeed. Although I'm not sure a marker pen would do too much "damage"
For anyone thinking about using paint for this purpose
I personally, would choose acrylic paint, rather than something like enamel, which is tougher,
and may indeed cause damage

I've listened to several youtube videos of different EUB's now,
and sometimes, the NS does seem to sound quite DB-like
Again, this may partly be due to amplification and or effects....

The search for an affordable, good quality EUB goes on....
But I must admit, I do like the look of the NS basses

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1411059012' post='2556105']
Doesn't everyone play with their plucking fingers over the finger board on DB or eub?
[/quote]

Hi Pete, you might be right. I don't have my cheapy upright at the moment because someone is trying to glue it back together for me yet again so I can't check, but I always thought I was plucking below the end of the fretboard. It might be that the fretboard is short on that, or the action is mega high at that point. I used to find my finger edge almost looped under the string when plucking, but this is not so possible on the NS because the action is so low. I will probably look at raising the action slightly to suit my style soon.

I know what I mean - this probably doesn't make sense to anyone else!

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1411124355' post='2556671']
The stock NS strings don't sound anything like a DB. They are far too bright.

Mark at Bass Direct told me he's trying to convince NS to equip all NS models with the traditional string set instead. They are much better that the stock contemporary strings.
[/quote]

What strings are you using fretmeister?
Has it improved the sound of your NS that much?
Interesting....

I had a Stagg, and the strings that came with were awful!
Changing the strings improved playability a lot, and improved the sound quite a bit

Far from me to disagree with StingrayPete there - the NS basses will take proper DB strings - there is 2 sets of anchor points on the back of the instrument - one for the shorter NS Design ones, and then another set for proper DB strings

In fact I currently have Spiro Weichs on it!

and when I get round to swapping again I have Innovations to try too.

Proper strings and raising the action makes a lot of tonal difference.

Thanks for the info guys
I hadn't considered which strings the NS takes
Glad to hear it will take normal DB strings

Having listened to a few sound clips & vids of the Yamaha,
I really like the sound of what I've heard
Especially considering t has no sound chamber at all - sounds quite DB-like to me
and I like them the more I hear them

Sadly, it's quite a way out of my price range though
I was looking to spend around the price of a S/H NS, or thereabouts....
Anyone got a Yamaha Silentbass going (very) cheap? Lol

I'm confused. If you want a double bass sound, wouldn't it make sense to buy a double bass?

I like the sound of some electric uprights, because they sound like electric uprights and it's a nice sound. But if that's not what you want, don't buy one?

I have thought about getting an EUB myself (I've played DB for about 5 years now) but the only ones I would want to own are the Yamahas.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1411945313' post='2564274']
I'm confused. If you want a double bass sound, wouldn't it make sense to buy a double bass?

I like the sound of some electric uprights, because they sound like electric uprights and it's a nice sound. But if that's not what you want, don't buy one?

I have thought about getting an EUB myself (I've played DB for about 5 years now) but the only ones I would want to own are the Yamahas.
[/quote]

No, I've already got a double bass
It's a beatiful David Gage "Czech Ease" I got from greg on this very forum

I want / need an EUB, as I often practice late at night,
and in the wee small hours, it's surprising how the sound of a DB can travel
it's also surprising just how loud Mrs S can get, when she's woken up! lol

Also, I play some gigs where I double up, and play bass guitar too
So I'm just looking to travel a bit lighter for some of those gigs,
and the rehearsals I do with my folk band....

I had a Stagg, which I recently sold - to save up for a better EUB - something like an NS design

It's surprising how much less practice time I'm getting,
and, partly due to where we rehearse, how much more of a pain it can be to cart my DB around for midweek rehearsals......
Hence the need for an EUB as well as my DB

My original post was really asking about the comparison between NS basses, and an Aria I had only just become aware of
(you don't seem to see many of them around)
but as ever, there are other solutions too - like the Yamaha BC'ers have kindly brought my attention to
But atm, they are a bit out of my price range, sadly

Hope that answers your question thisnameistaken

Marc

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='andyonbass' timestamp='1411980720' post='2564434']
SLB100 on ebay at the moment [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-SLB-100-Silent-Bass-/221557909038?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Sting_Instruments&hash=item3395e1662e"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3395e1662e[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks for that andyonbass
That's a great price at the moment :o

In my watch list already :)

Cheers

[quote name='andyonbass' timestamp='1411980720' post='2564434']
SLB100 on ebay at the moment [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-SLB-100-Silent-Bass-/221557909038?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Sting_Instruments&hash=item3395e1662e"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3395e1662e[/url]
[/quote]

Bugger, I was hoping no-one on basschat had seen this.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1411945313' post='2564274']

[/quote]

Have you tried getting a proper DB in an average car with 2 kids and the driver? I'm currently playing in a local music trust group / orchestra that my kids attend. 2 kids, a clarinet, a sax, my amp & EUB is all I can fit in the car!

I got my EUB purely because I don't have room for a DB, in the house or in the car.