Why become a member? ×

Glossing the fingerboard

Colonel36

Now don't go shoutin' at me here. :huh:

If you were to ...let's say for sayings sake, clean up a fingerboard properly that would normally be oiled and then prepare it properly followed by finishing it with a couple of spray coats of clear lacquer, what would the downside be assuming that it's a brilliant finish with all the frets nice and clean also.

Would it affect the sound badly and what way.

[quote name='thefyst' timestamp='1410886539' post='2554350']
Not that I know much about these things ...but....

Wouldn't the lacquer scuff and deteriorate pretty quickly with the strings rubbing on it all the time?
[/quote]
I'm assuming it's a fretted bass, Colonel36? If so, the strings shouldn't touch the fretboard itself much at all.

Andy

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1410870770' post='2554072']
I always lacquer / varnish my fingerboards, rosewood. I don't think it effects the sound too much I just love the feel of it. If it does effect the sound, it's in a way that I like. I've never had it change colour either. Might be the lacquer that Antoria used.
[/quote]

I dont think it was original. Could have been done later. It was a strange neck, sort of like plywood if you looked close.

I have bitza P bass with a maple fretboard and still undecided whether to lacquer it.