Why become a member? ×

Opinions on Barefaced BB2 with full tube amp???

joeghee

Hi,

I am a bassplayer from the Netherlands. I used to be very happy with my bass rig of an Aguilar DB-659 pre amp with a massive (but lightweigt) 2800W poweramp which dove a Barefaced Compact and Barefaced Super12T. One chanel of the power amp ran at 4 ohm and the other at 8 ohm. Happy as hell and no problem so far.... ;-)

But then I came across a Weber Mywatt 200 (Hiwatt clone) http://weber-amps.de/en/index.html and I completely fell in love with the full tube tone, power, richness, vibe, moyo etc....

Problem: I can not drive the compact and S12T together because that would be 2,66 ohm and the Mywatt can only handle 4 ohm tops...

The mywatt sounds great on the S12T alone but I like the idea of a "two cab sollution"

Now I am thinking about selling the S12T and the Compact (which could be a hassle because Barefaced is not well known in the Natherlands..) and order two Big Baby 2 cabs... The 2x BB2's would give me a bit more power then the S12T alone and the stack would be a bit taller too (with the cabs on their side).

Does anybody have hands-on experience wit the BB2's paired with a full tube amp. It is said that the BB2 cabs sound cleaner then the Super12's. Does it work well with full tube amps or would it be to clean? The Mywatt (Hiwatt) does not have the low mid hump of an SVT but has a wider/clearer frequency range...

Any thoughts on this matter are very much appreciated!!! Thanks in advance! Cheers! Arn

Guest monsterthompson

I'm running a G3 Super Compact with a Mesa Buster 200w head, which is all valve. I'm happy with it. I'm guessing you could get the BB2 into the same tonal territory as the Super Compact with the crossover control turned down or off. I know the G3 cabs are different from earlier versions, so I'm not sure how close the BB2 is to the S12T. Alex is obviously the best man for explaining that. Though I'm sure there are some users who can add their real world experience.

• 1 month later...

I have 2x BB2's coming this way (currently in production), also an Ampeg SVT-VR coming.

If you can wait a few weeks, I guess I can tell you more. Or you could come and judge for yourself (Utrecht, Netherlands). I've got a few other bass amps and cabs for comparison too.

I use a 400w laney nexus all valve and an all valve 100w burman with a bt2, which I guess would ve similar. I love it. Great tone. The burman sounds really cranked through it when full pumping, very aggressive when the calves are pushed to the limit. I really like it. Wouldn't change my set up for anything other than adding another bt2 or bb2- which is totally stupid and unnecessary.....but....that's why it's appealing!

I'm using a compact with a 200watt valve head.sounds great, nice even response and seems to keep the amp under control too. Loud too ,although another could be on the cards. It's just weird that I now have an amp head that weighs three times the cab weight. The amp is based on the hiwatt circuit so is probably pretty close to the mywatt.

Edited by Subthumper