Why become a member? ×

Ashdown MAG200 combo boost?

Chrisgoodier

Hi all,
My first posting here, so please bear with me.
I’ve been gigging for 10 years or so with my trusty Ashdown MAG200 combo (4x10”) and Ibanez Ergodyne active bass, with no effects or pedals, playing rock/indie/pop.
No big problems and they’ve been trusty enough, but I always seem to be running the amp at pretty much 80/90% gain/volume, but it still doesn't cut through everyone else as much as I’d like.
Anyone any smart ideas for a nifty pedal which may boost my sound, but without blowing my amp?!
Many thanks all, much appreciated
Cheers
Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

Welcome to the forum!

I'm not sure it's a boost pedal that you're after. I have experience with both 180, 200 and 300 watt MAGs and I would say what you probably need is actually a more powerful amp.

My 300w MAG and ABM cut through with my old rock band really we'll, but I struggled with the 200w mag combo.

You can pick up the 300w versions in the amps for sale section on here and also places like gumtree really cheap.

I also converted a MAG combo into an ABM combo by swapping the amp sleeves over, so there's some food for thought.

I don't know much regarding boost pedals, but you'll need to put it in your effects loop for maximum affect, but will risk popping a speaker if you drive your amp too hard!

Best wishes,
Lorry

I'm guessing the MAG200 is 200W...is that into a 4 Ohm load? if so, and the 4x10 is 8 Ohm, you could only be getting maybe 140-ish watts as it is. What speaker connections/markings are on it ?

Add another (8 Ohm) cab, perhaps?

Although, if it were me, I'd probably just sell it and get something with a bit more grunt.

i would agree with the eq comment as even a low power amp through a 410 should be able to make some impression, from experience ashdown stuff flat is a bit dark so maybe as was said look to the mids and highs also if your guitarists are using alot of low end in there sound then that wnt help, also not to tell you to suck eggs or anything but a sound that works on it own will almost never work in a band context.

andy

I don't know the Mag 200 but my old Mag 300 combo had a speaker output for an extension cabinet. The main point is that if a Solid State combo has that extension output the it will probably only output 1/2 power with the internal speaker. To get the extra power you will need an extra cabinet. To put it another way, with the internal speaker you will get only 100 watts, you need another speaker to get the full output power from the amp.

Edited by Chienmortbb