Why become a member? ×

Hipshot ultralite tuners

sykilz

Fitted a set of these to my Yamaha BB414, though it looks very different to the massive lollipop types, now I'm used to the look I quite like the look. The difference in weight ,which is why I'm posting this, is incredible, the originals weighed 100grams each, the Hipshots are 44g each, in old money the weight loss over 4 tuners is half a pound, give or take, on a bass that weighed 9lb 1oz it now weighs 8lb 8oz! Anyone thinking of buying these, do !!

Edited by sykilz

I recently put a set of the cloverleaf licenced by Hipshot Ultralites on my Squier VM P5.
Great to lose that half pound :)
BTW, I use DR Lowriders which are a higher tension string and don't have any probs tuning the low B string. They hold their tuning for ages.

I'll always have them on any future basses I may have/build too.

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1410848979' post='2553732']
I'll be doing this to all three of my Ps as funds allow. It will take the sunburst 4 down to 6.5 pounds, the 5 down to 8.4.
My shoulder is drooling at the prospect!
[/quote]

I've mentioned this before on another thread somewhere, but I bought my Licenced by Hipshot Ultralites off eBay shipped from the States.
The licenced ones are made in China (I think) and look the same, weigh the same and, most importantly, work the same as the USA versions (I've had the USA tuners on an Am Standard I used to own).
They work out at £60 all in delivered for a 5 string set instead of £28 per tuner which is what the USA ones cost here in the UK.
The licenced Ultralites come on the Lakland Skylines so you know they're tip top. ;)

Edited by miles'tone

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1410852287' post='2553757']
I've mentioned this before on another thread somewhere, but I bought my Licenced by Hipshot Ultralites off eBay shipped from the States.
The licenced ones are made in China (I think) and look the same, weigh the same and, most importantly, work the same as the USA versions (I've had the USA tuners on an Am Standard I used to own).
They work out at £60 all in delivered for a 5 string set instead of £28 per tuner which is what the USA ones cost here in the UK.
The licenced Ultralites come on the Lakland Skylines so you know they're tip top. ;)
[/quote]

I have also had many sets of the US Hipshots but I recently picked up a set of Licensed ones at a fraction of the cost and I can't really tell the difference between them and the American ones.

i'm patiently waiting for that link too, i've got ultralites on my Letts 5 String, no idea if they're the USA ones or the Chinese but they work perfectly, i had a 2+3 headstock arrangement so the b-string has a bit more length before it gets to the tuner, means that it's still on the taper when in tune, works perfectly,

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1410862755' post='2553919']
Could either of you be kind enough to link to the seller for these licensed Ultralight copies, please? Sticking that into the search doesn't come up with anything. Ta.
[/quote]

Just checked myself and you're right, they're not on eBay at present.

This is the seller I bought mine from and a direct link to their site:

http://www.sporthitech.com/hipshot-ultralite-lic-bass-hb6c-1-2-tuners-5-string-5-inline-3x2-etc-chrome-plated/

Edited by miles'tone

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1410862755' post='2553919']
Could either of you be kind enough to link to the seller for these licensed Ultralight copies, please? Sticking that into the search doesn't come up with anything. Ta.
[/quote]

Try this:

[b]http://tinyurl.com/hipshotlink[/b]

I've got a set fitted to my 4003 - genuine USA - I bought mine from Mark at Bass Direct.

Really love them - they are NOT a direct fit if you use all the Hipshot parts, it does involve drilling some holes. I didn't mind, as my Ric is a bit away from standard anyway with other mods, and I wanted the most comfy and playable Ric I could get....and these help a great deal.

The weight saving is amazing, especially if your bass is quite heavy to start with - as mine is.

....and I love the look as well!

Just ordered 4 black elephant ears for my latest darling - a mid 80s all black Fender Jazz Bass Special that has been converted to active with Barts and a nice preamp - currently bang on 9lbs, so hopefully it will be nearer 8.5 with these fitted. Cost a few pence under £50 posted. I expect to pay duty as well when they arrive but still good. Thanks Basschat!! :)

thanks for the links, are the far east ones slightly different to the usa ones? it seems that they want you to specify what arrangement you want with the far east ones where as the usa ones it says they are easily converted. has anyone tried swapping far east one from one side to the other?

Matt

I think the licenced Ultralites are meant to be non-reversible although someone on talkbass apparently worked out how to do it. Sounded like a FAFF and a gamble to me and would no doubt go wrong if I tried it!
Best to decide what you want before ordering and just buy what you need.

BTW - although the USA and the Licenced Ultralites look the same, the Licenced tuners have "Hipshot" embossed on the rear, whereas the USA made tuners do actually say "Hipshot USA" on the rear.

I had a hell of a time reversing my USA Hipshots. It involves removing the end screw and re-configuring the tuner for the other side of the headstock. Easy, right? Except that the end screw has a small hex head on it, and is very tightly seated. I don't know if it was down to my cheapo allen keys, but I barely managed to unscrew one of the tuners, and stripped the hex hole on another. I ended up taking a dremel to it to cut a slot I could use a screwdriver on.

If I do it again, I'll just buy them in 2-a-side configuration!