Why become a member? ×

Badly Fitted Bridge

Mykesbass

Putting together a P Bass from BYO Guitars as a bit of a project plus I really fancied a Seafoam Green P! Must say I'm not knocked out by the quality of either the finish - looked nice but cracked and splintered like mad despite using masking tape when I drilled it. Also, the supplied screws were very poor, broke two putting the bridge on and stripped the heads on quite a few of them,

All that aside, looking like quite a nice bass, and it has been fun bringing it all together, however I have made one cock-up - I have got the bridge about 2.5mm out. The trouble is, the cracked finish means I can't simply move it - that will reveal a bit of damage. I have spent ages looking for a bridge with a slightly larger baseplate - all I can find is this one which doesn't look brilliant: [url="http://www.chguitars.co.uk/bridges/bass-bridges/b18-four-string-hardtail-fixed-bass-guitar-bridge.html"]http://www.chguitars.co.uk/bridges/bass-bridges/b18-four-string-hardtail-fixed-bass-guitar-bridge.html[/url] Anyone used one of these and have any opinion or anyone got any other suggestions - needs to be a little bigger than the standard 80mmx53mm.

Many thanks,
Mike

Quite a few BCers have done business with CH Guitars and seem to be very satisfied with his products and service. Just check that the thick baseplate and saddle configuration allows you to get the action you'll need - you might find the saddles bottoming out and the strings are still too high if the bass was designed to take a BBOT style bridge.

[quote name='Matt P' timestamp='1411038958' post='2555790']
have you considered swapping to the traditional BBOT bridge and then fitting a bridge cover? that might cover up the damaged finish pretty well (and i think it looks ace! as can be seen by my profile pic.)

Matt
[/quote]

Funnily enough, yes, I have! May go for that rather than the slightly odd looking one that I've been looking at.

[quote name='thefyst' timestamp='1411553058' post='2560549']
have you got a pic of the damage? there might be other alternatives to covering it with the bridge?
[/quote]

Will be taking it off this week so will take pics and post. Quite liking the bridge cover idea though.

I have one of those bridges you linked to on my bitsa fretted Jazz, does the job fine if you don't want to fork out for a Gotoh 404. Everything works as it should and it's pretty solid. If I needed another bridge I'd buy one over a BBOT any day.

It's quick loading too btw so no need to thread the strings through.