Why become a member? ×

Strymon Mobius... just got one, any tips from people who already have one?

The Badderer

Just picked one of these up yesterday. Going to be part of a new MIDI controlled pedalboard. Always wanted one but didn't bother getting one until i realised that MIDI was the way to go so I can get the most out of all my pedals. I have been going through the online factory presets and going to have a look through the whole thing this evening. Just thought I would sound out the brilliant basschatters to see if anyone had some tips about getting the most out of it.

Thanks in advance :)

I have been after a midi syncable chorus pedal for a while, i did look at getting one of these, but for being larger and priced slightly more than a Modfactor im not sure at how much more you would get. I eventualy decided that i couldnt afored either the price or the board space of anything on the market and am holding out for a cheeper/smaller pedal to come along…

How do you find the chorus sound on this though ([s]for when[/s] incase i change my mind)?

from the limited play i've had, I find it's really usable and sounds really nice on bass (haven't played with it in a band situation yet!) many tweakable settings that can make a big difference to the sound,
http://www.strymon.net/documents/MOBIUS_FactoryPresets.pdf these are the presets it comes with from the factory
http://www.strymon.net/documents/Mobius_UserManual_REVD.pdf this is the user manual.
as you can see it has 5 different chorus settings and there is a notable difference between them. The mulitverse sounds really impressive straight off if you want a BIG chorus sound. Had a really nice sound out of the Detune setting straight away too with very little tweaking. I didn't have to much of a play with the dBucket or Digital one yet. I'm gonna have a more serious look at it tonight.
Other settings that sounded great out the box with minimal tweaking were pretty much all of them aside from Autoswell / destroyer and quadrature as these all need a fair bit of tweaking in all the different parameters. The rotary / vibe and the vintage and pattern tremolos sounded really nice and different.

On a side note, whatever they do with this pedal it makes such a great improvement to your general sound with whatever setting you have. I haven't been so impressed with the addition a pedal can have to my sound before. really worth the money (i would say only if you're going to use a MIDI system as £3-400 for a pedal that you have to navigate banks to access more than 2 presets is a lot, with the MIDI it just means you can really go for some sounds that are really "Out There" and nail them with just 1 press of a pedal).

Excited :crazy:

The Mobius sits in the bottom left of my board - it's a killer pedal for modulation... really nice controllable effects and even greater when used with a expression pedal too. Its sacked off a few of my pedals - so when you look at the cost, it's more easy to swallow that way. Plus being able to recall multiple presets is awesome.

The chorus is one of the strongest positives about this pedal. Love it. Like everything though, some time spent tweaking away from the presets will reward you with the greatest results. Enjoy.

Also worth mentioning is the pre/post feature - defo worth using that, especially with any overdrives or distortions.

after spending 2 hours with the pedal this evening i definitely agreed about getting away from the presets. about half of them are useable (20-25), the others are set to show off and inspired you to delve into the much more extreme side of the pedal (remembering that it is primarily aimed at guitarists). What a great sounding pedal though, it is so will crafted and (aside from the more extreme presets) i haven't had anything other than a great sound coming out of it. This will stay on my board forever.
Also agree that the pre/post feature is a great idea. having the flexibility of taking either some pedals or your amp and being able to move them before or after the mobius is a great idea.
gonna start to look at programming some of my own sounds tomorrow night. works beautifully with overdrive / distortion in front of it. gonna see what happens when i move some in front and some behind it.

Check this

http://www.strymon.net/support/faqs/how-do-i-set-up-mobius-prepost-mode-in-a-chain-of-pedals/

And

http://www.strymon.net/support/faqs/how-do-i-setup-mobius-pre-post-mode-for-use-in-an-effects-loop/

The diagrams make it so much clearer. I use as in example 1.

EBS freak will have a far better answer than me as i haven't used this feature yet, but my understanding of it is.... If you're using it in a chain of pedals, you can put multiple pedals in a loop coming from the Left Out returning to the Right In. What the Mobius then does is in the back menus you can move that chain of pedals before or after the Mobius pedal depending on the sound you want to achieve in each preset.

With regards to the amp, you can effectively either move the Mobius before the PreAmp or Post the PreAmp like being in the effects loop. (I'm prepared to be corrected by EBS freak) :)