Why become a member? ×

Cheap/Starter Basses

draughtsman

Hi all,

Looking to get back into playing again, anyone had experience of Gear4Musin Oregon Basses?
Is the quality good enough to begin with?
I'm also scouring the addictive or sale section on here as well as looking for that elusive bargain find on Flea Bay.
Are there any particular brands to stay well away from?

Cheers.

Harley Benton appear to support the cheaper end of the market pretty well.. load of options here;

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_electric_basses.html"]http://www.thomann.d...ric_basses.html[/url]

No heard anything about the Oregon basses...

Edited by CamdenRob

Is there a reason why you chose that bass? Many players will start off with a standard Precision or Jazz bass copy, of which there are plenty of options available. The Oregon comes with a hard case which IMHO is good to have. It has neck through construction, which gives it an interesting look. It's not unreasonable to buy a bass that you think looks good, I've seen it said that your first bass sitting there on the stand should scream 'play me' to you, as you need to spend a lot of time playing it to gain skills. If you look at the Oregon and think "wow", then that's an advantage in itself. If the Oregon is in your budget, then you have a lot of choice, both new and second hand.

I'd expect that the Oregon should be good enough at that price and spec. However, it may suffer from depreciation if you buy brand new and want to sell it later. It also may not be set up well when you receive it.

Edited by Annoying Twit