Why become a member? ×

Going back to Markbass after GK ( choice of two heads )

flippyfloop

So, I recently bought a GK MB800 head. I like it but I think the GK sound isn't for me.
You can dial back some of that sound out but live and at volume I've found that I can't get the sound I'm after.

I've used Markbass for years, CMD12 combo, F500 & BB.
My last amp was a Genz STL Max 12.0. Loved it but they got killed by Fender so decided to move it on.

Thinking of going back to Markbass but unsure which head to go for ?

I'm tempted by two -

Big Bang - Had this head for very little time when it first came out but had the now well know head phone problem. Had a lot of back and forth with MB & every head they sent me still had the same problem. I got p***ed off in the end & moved it on. Never really had time to play out with it & give it a chance.
They have now sorted the Headphone out problem so I'm very tempted by this amp. I hear that it kicks out a lot for a 500w head & I really liked the fast response that I had with the F500. This I believe has the same 'ish digital power amp.

LM 800 ( not the tube )

Can't find much info about these. It also has the a digital power amp ( unlike the LM 500w version )
I like the though of having the extra wattage as I do occasional gigs without PA support.
Although I'm wondering how much more oomph the 800w will actually give me over the impressive 500w that the BB head delivers.

Thoughts / opinions appreciated.

Didn't like the Fusion as well.
Great amps but not for me.

I like the neutral or 'bland' voicing that you get with MB heads. I'd rather have a clean slate that I can add too than a coloration I'm trying to remove. Although MB heads do sound different from each other. LM does not sound like the F1 / F500 heads.

I`ve no experience with either but being a Markbass fan have read a fair bit, and it seems that the LM800 is a bit cleaner/more sterile in comparison to the 500s, probably due to the digital aspect. But given that the 500s are incredibly loud, I can`t see how you would be in a position to need more, unless of course you`re after extra clean at the higher volumes, in which case the 800 would seem worth checking out.

I`ve the LM3, in the CMD121P combo and pair that with an NY121 ext cab. In a loud punk band, with or without FOH - as backline always set to volume of the drummer - I never need it on more than 4 on volume.

I've used a couple (1 running, 1 spare) of Little Mark 2s for the last 2 or 3 years. Absolutely brilliant amps, can't imagine using anything else at the mo.
Had a brief affair with a Genz Benz Streamline 900 somewhere in that timeline.....horrible thing, not one useable sound for me. Back to the MB, more tone and almost seemed like more volume (although that was probably just tonal perception).

If one died, I'd find another, or possibly a LM3 if its the same design.

Si

I have also used GK, a Streamliner and MarkBass and have kept the latter. What I do prefer is the sound of the 500w analog power section to the digital 800w. I have never needed to run my LM2 over half way on the master so this suits me fine.

I do fancy trying a TTE 500 at some point but that's GAS for you!

I had a LMII for 5 years.
Loved it. As people have said, with 2 cabs, it never got pushed passed 11 oclock.
It is a clean sound though. This isnt a bad thing for me, but its all down to taste.
I swapped it about a year ago, just fancied a change.
Since swapping it, ive gone through about 5 different amps.
Think im just chasing the MB tones again.
I have a SWR MM pre at the minute. I do love it.
Soooooo many options. One of my favourite things about the LMII was i could get the sound i wanted very easily

Had a LM for a while and what I liked about it was its clean, transparent sound. Unusable in its natural form (for me) so I stuck a BDI-21 in front of it to get the sound I wanted. MB make good, high-quality, reliable amps but I find them a bit too dull for my liking out of the box but obviously (as this thread proves) the reason there are lots of different amps is that there are lots of different opinions on what makes a good tone. For balance I'll say my recently-acquired Streamliner suits me very well to say the least, but it does seem to be a bit fussy about which cab it's paired with. IMHO, of course. :)

Edited by discreet

Thanks for all the input.
Confirming what I'm after. A clean slate that I can add what ever I want to it. As I've played MB heads a lot over the years, I'm kinda looking for that sound again.

Cabs wise, I currently use Vanderkley 112 MNT, which is an amazing cab. I tried out a Barefaced BB2 recently & really liked it a lot. It doesn't have the ' in your face ' tweeter that the Vanderkley has so I'll have to get used to that but it is a very even sound from bottom to top. Really kicks in a live situation. Kinda hope a can afford to have both cabs ;)[size=4] [/size]

For those mentioning the Streamliner Genz amps - Tried one, didn't like it. It's a very cool amp but it confirmed that I personally don't get on with tube amps that much. In an ideal world & a deep wallet, I would have one around for that sound & loved the cool blue glow.

Think I'm leaning towards the Markbass LM800.

If you're looking at a clean sounding amp with oodles of power then look up Carvin amps at Bassgear UK - [url="http://www.bassgear.co.uk/product-category/bass-amps-and-cabs/carvin-amps/"]http://www.bassgear.co.uk/product-category/bass-amps-and-cabs/carvin-amps/[/url], amazing amps for the money and in my opinion not to dissimilar to the Markbass sound.

Not a GK fan so would be more inclined to go Markbass out of the two.
Having said that, I don't like them ( MB ) wound up even tho the flters are useful
in getting a sound. I find them..and filters in general, a bit plastic, which
is why I've moved on to a normal EQ section.
Currently enjoying a TH500 running passive as I find that quite an honest
and uncoloured sound ( you have to like that tho ) which any amp with a filter/mapping
control will not be, IMO. Think a rotary and sweepable version of the TE pre-set
and that is what you have with filters. Can be a quick dial-in but not for me at this time.

I heard a demo last year of MarkBass heads into a Barefaced cab and then the MB into MB cabs.

There were about 10 of us in the room and the universal preference was for MB into MB - the only person who disagreed just happened to be the demonstrator - he also happened to be the person trying to sell the Barefaced cab :)

I know Alex from BF said he liked the big clean power of Carvin amps, especially the B2000, to go with his cabs. Most of the Carvins go to 2 ohms as well which is really handy if you have a pair of 4 ohm cabs.

We recently set up a B1000 with a vertical stack of 3 Bergantino CN112's - sounded awesome :)

I've got the Big Bang and it's been faultless so far and has a great set of tones if you need to tweak. I use mine racked now but the size and weight were fantastic - just fitted into my gig bag nicely. Have it driving two Traveller siries cabs (12" & 15") and the gain's at about 10 o'clock and master never above 12 o'clock.

It'd be nice to be able to switch out the VLE/VPF without a footswitch but that's the only grumble I've had.

[quote name='Iain' timestamp='1411122409' post='2556638']
I've got the Big Bang and it's been faultless so far and has a great set of tones if you need to tweak. I use mine racked now but the size and weight were fantastic - just fitted into my gig bag nicely. Have it driving two Traveller siries cabs (12" & 15") and the gain's at about 10 o'clock and master never above 12 o'clock.

It'd be nice to be able to switch out the VLE/VPF without a footswitch but that's the only grumble I've had.
[/quote]

This is what confuses me with the Big Bang.
1. Are the VLE/VPF on all the time and only switched OFF by the footswitch, or,
2. Do you need the footswitch to put them on or off?

I tried a Little Rocker on Thursday and the VLE/VPF could be dialled up, or down to zero without a footswitch.
I really liked the sound with the VLE at about 9 0'clock, that really helped the amp, for me.
What I really didn't like with the Little Rocker was that the volume was really very disappointing until you put the valvey gain thingy on.

I am going to be putting my Carvin up for sale, as it overhangs the 2 Markbass cabs (thanks again Barrie :D ), by an inch either side :blush: .
Sad, yes, but I can see that overhang even looking into the eyes of the beauty in the audience :lol: