Why become a member? ×

Advice needed on Upright Bass for my daughter.

Cici's-mum

Hello all,
I'm looking for some advice on upright basses for my daughter

She is 15, quite small (under 5ft) and has been playing electric bass guitar for just coming up to 3 1/2 years and is keen to learn upright too.

So, in looking for an instrument I'm wondering what sort of things to consider. She preferably would like an acoustic. I don't know a great deal about them apart from I know they come in different sizes and either solid or laminate. (Is a hybrid part laminate and part solid?)

We live in the Midlands and I don't know of any shops in the area where it's possible to go to try any upright basses. I did try the local youth music scheme which loans instruments to children having music lessons within school. My daughter is home educated, so not in the system as such, but could have taken part in the scheme, but they don't have an upright bass tutor and so, although they have a bass available, we weren't able to hire it as you have to be having lessons through them.

I'm guessing she'd have to go for a 1/2 size due to her height and build. She's had a little go on a 3/4 and could sort of play it if she stood on something. In one way it might look a bit quirky to play a 3/4 size but use a step or tall stool, but then I wonder if it might be physically damaging, tendon wise etc?

So, I guess I'm really asking for any advice on what might be a good starting point for her, size wise, make, New cheap vs second hand possible better quality instrument, solid vs laminate etc. Do you get the same sound from a 1/2 size as you do from 3/4 ?

Please don't let her age mislead you, she's a talented little bassist who is dedicated to her music.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, sorry for so many questions all in one xxx

No doubt that renting could be a better bet for a growing teenager than buying a 1/2 size and changing it over in a couple of years. A tutor is absolutely essential if injury is to be avoided.

Great to hear of female bass players always. I take it she knows of Esperanza Spalding. What a role model she would be. :)

Hi Fatback, thanks. I'm not sure she'll grow much more now as she's 15, so probably almost as tall as she's going to get, but I do agree that renting sounds like a good option.
Her bass tutor plays upright also, so if/when we get one he has said he will give her lessons on the upright too :-))
Yes, funnily enough we were watching/listening to some Esperanza the other day as we were talking about jazz stuff and had taken her down to watch a friend on bass at Pizza Express Jazz Club.

I'm glad she plays bass too, brilliant instrument :-) xx

A lot of electric players play double as well (me included) and a lot of them aren't the best teachers, having just picked one up and got going. Maybe look to see if you can find someone to recommend a good teacher who can work through the grades and teach both classical and jazz. A bow is essential in my opinion to get really good intonation. They'll probably be a youth orchestra in your area as well she can join which are always a great to get comfortable with a double bass and get involved in many styles of music.

Renting a half size could be a good way to go but i know many female players (both short and tall) playing 3/4 and 4/4 bass's so see if you can have a go on a few different sizes.

I agree to go to a reputable shop, have her measured, just like for a violin, and get an appropriate bass. Then since there are no frets, the strings are longer, and have more tension, and the posture and technique is different, get her some appropriate lessons so she can learn her positions and hand placements properly in order to not only play better, but avoid injury since playing double bass is more physically demanding than electric.

It all comes down to good technique and she could play any size bass, granted a 1/2 size would be easier to start with but have a look at 3/4 sized bass's.

I had a masterclass with Chi -Chi Nwanoku who is tiny and another guy playing had a massive 4/4 poll man bass, literally bigger than any other bass if've come across. She picked it up and played it perfectly. Again good technique.

Good luck in your search and to Cici in learning possibly the greatest instrument.

Hi Ci Ci's mum
My daughter started on an 1/8 then moved to 1/4, both of which we rented from the local music service. We then bought a 1/2 size when she was about 14 which we had professionally set up and she got her Grade 6 on it. For a petite 15 year old I would think that a half size might be more manageable (though the fractions don't seem to obey any sort of relationship to the actual size). I agree that going to a good music shop to try all the options would be a very good start. My daughter has now moved on to other things, boys mostly, so it sits in the corner. If you decided to buy rather than rent then let me know as it could do with going to a good home.
Simon