Why become a member? ×

B*gger - now have gout in left hand; low tension strings a must now!

Clarky

I have had recurring aches and pains in my left hand since breaking several bones in it around 3 years ago (falling down stairs at 6am on way to work, before you ask) but this has been manageable for my playing electric and double bass. Then last week I developed sharp pains in one finger joint and a couple of days ago in my left forefinger knuckle - meaning I could barely bend this finger without very sharp pain. Worried sick this would end my instrument-playing days I went to a consultant who has advised that I have gout in my left hand. I am now on high dose anti-inflammatory drugs and the pains have almost entirely disappeared.

This is a flipping nuisance as its likely to strike again and does mean from now on I will poised with anti-inflammatory drugs and be using ultra-low tension DB strings. I already have Velvet Blues on my 3/4 bass which are <60 pounds of pressure per string (much less than Spiro Weichs for example) and will see how they go.

Humbug!

Edited by Clarky

Its very likely that gout has a genetic component - there's a much younger guy in my team at work who has gout and so did his father (same joints too). All the stuff about red wine and meat being risk factors was recently discredited in a research study that suggested that yeast-enriched foods/drinks (eg, beer) are in fact much more likely to cause flare-ups. Which is good as I like a glass of red wine!

The usual gubbins about losing weight, lower blood pressure etc obviously apply when it comes to lowering risk of further flare-ups (as they do in many diseases) but essentially beyond the aforementioned all you can do is be quick to react with anti-inflammatory drugs if you feel onset of an attack (not only reduce pain but over long term these reduce the inflammatory damage that occurs progressibvely in the affected joint).

yep, but one is injectable and grotesquely expensive (Krystexxa) and the others are cheap generic tablets (eg allopurinol) that have undesirable side effects (kidney issues, anaemia etc) and thus are not used unless the disease progresses. If you can control the episodes (which are by definition infrequent) by anti-inflammatory drugs its preferable to using these more toxic alternatives

Hi Clarky

I did have gout--on and off-- for many years--saw the doc.--put on a 'gout' tablet--- did the trick--not had gout now for a no. of years---off tablet. Luckily the gout was in my right foot and not in the hands.

For those of you who have never had gout it is like having constant tooth-ache wherever the gout is.
---
Hope it soon clears up Clarky.

[quote name='gypsyjazzer' timestamp='1411058294' post='2556092']
Hi Clarky

I did have gout--on and off-- for many years--saw the doc.--put on a 'gout' tablet--- did the trick--not had gout now for a no. of years---off tablet. Luckily the gout was in my right foot and not in the hands.

For those of you who have never had gout it is like having constant tooth-ache wherever the gout is.
---
Hope it soon clears up Clarky.
[/quote]Thanks GJ! Good to hear yours is under control

I suffer with it in my toes, but a nurse told me that it was mainly de-hydration that caused the issue. I take no tablets, just plenty of water and I haven't had a bout for about 4 years despite being a GP's nightmare when it comes to being underheight and B.P. readings. Hope you get it under control.

Clarky, don't worry too much about allopurinol side effects. Long term use is rarely a problem. My solution is to take it for three months, stabilise levels, then stop until my levels of UA build again (which can take many months).

So many foods have high purine levels that I gave up after years of trying to control with diet. The only dietary change I made is to effectively stop drinking beer, except for rare occasions. No alcohol is good, but beer is one of the worst (lots of recent research on this).

Wow, I'm out iof the closet. We should start some kind of sub-forum. The biggest problem with gout is the way it makes other people laugh, especially if you're youngish (like wot we are). Sympathy quotient = zero.

Edited by fatback

Hey invicta59, Fatback and Geoff many thanks for your messages. The pain has almost disappeared now. I am not too downhearted about this (worse things happen at sea) but it's just something I need to think about and manage

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1411072387' post='2556317']
Hey invicta59, Fatback and Geoff many thanks for your messages. The pain has almost disappeared now. I am not too downhearted about this (worse things happen at sea) but it's just something I need to think about and manage
[/quote]

I wouldn't rush into changing strings either. When you manage your gout, and get the anti-inflammatories going sharpish each time, the joints shouldn't suffer permanent damage, so no weakening.

I do use Weichs, but that's because I'm a wuss. Nothing to do with the big G.

Anther gout sufferer here. Managed through diet and cutting down heavily on alcohol but still get the occasional flare-up - always in toes and ankles so far. My dietary management is complicated by other dietary-cuaing health problems (high BP, gallstones) it's amazing how many foods are supposed to be good for one complaint, but are discouraged for one or two of the others. Even water was on one of the "banned" lists! Dehyration is the most common cause of gout for me.

Mahoosive +1 for cherries, but I get it in juice form from health food shops. Cherry Active is the brand I found. I use it for its anti-inflammatory properties. . As a sciatica sufferer of 13 years I had a rolling prescription for anti-inflammatory tablets, but now haven't taken even one for about a year since starting on the cherry juice. It's supposed to be amazing on gout, as it wipes uric acid out. A mad number of claims for it, although I can only comment from experience of the anti-inflammation. Tastes brill, too! http://www.cherryactive.co.uk

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1411058338' post='2556093']
Hey Jake, is this the same diet you have been advocating (no processed foods, sugar in very low quantities, red wine as a treat! etc) for sustained weight loss or did you start with a different one?
[/quote]
(sorry for delay been v busy)
Same one mate, the major thing it achieves (it seems) is more efficiency for your organs so (I assume) there is less opportunity for uric acid to build up.
I'm not a doctor, but I'm not bad at being my own doctor...
I found looking up the list of high purine foods helpful, and when I was having attacks, I just minimised their intake.
Hope it's better mate.

edit.. and a big +1 for cherry concentrate...

Edited by jakenewmanbass

Thanks Jake! I have the cherry concentrate and very tasty it is too :) After a short dose of naproxen the pain disappeared. I also had x-rays/MRI done and there is some damage from my fall of a few years ago (where I broke my left hand in several places) which may have exacerbated the problem. Its all "back to normal" now, at least in terms of being pain-free.

Hey Clarky, missed this whole thread somehow! I'm a fellow sufferer and would agree with much of the above, particularly cherry conc. and lots of water. It's initially scary as you think it could be permanent and put an end to your career, but as you know know it can be managed fairly easily. Good luck! :)