Why become a member? ×

I have Stingray GAS so bad

Pixiechick23

I tried one around 1993-4 I hated it, big old clunky thing, A few years later actually 2002 I had saved up £1350 and took it to Musical exchange in Brum to collect a Warwick Jazzman but it was faulty right out of the box! I had no choice but to spend it on something else, tried a few Ricks, hated them, tried a few Rays and they all felt like I was getting a nice big solid chunk of bass for my money, a 3EQ trans Teal with maple neck complete with hardcase came home with me, 12 years later I have owned 6 only shifting the 4 strings because I did not play them, never had a battery go dead once, never had a preamp fail, never had a weak G string, done me proud all of them in the studio, originals material, pub bands and function band stuff. A proper bass players tool, Lol

[quote name='Dazed' timestamp='1411126179' post='2556697']
Alternatively get a USA made SUB. They're usually around half the price, sound and feel like a Ray if you don't mind the rather industrial paint.
[/quote]

+1

I have two, and a Stingray... there really isn't anything significant between them, other than the different look.

[quote name='GrammeFriday' timestamp='1411152455' post='2557114']
Yes indeed. The technical term is the "F**k yeah!" feeling. It has been scientifically proven that only Stingrays can deliver this.
[/quote]

+1 - that phrase sums it up perfectly - it's happened to me twice - once when I went to Jones and Crossland in Birmingham in about 1980. Played a new Stingray in sunburst for about half an hour and even though I really wanted a natural one, had to have it. It was £375 (no hard case). I still went to music shops, more out if curiosity or with mates, and remember going to another one (Musical Exchange I think) and tried out a new fangled active Precision. The sound particularly and also the feel/playing fit confirmed I'd made the right decision with the Ray.

The second time was in 2003 when I decided to buy a 5 string. Played a load of different models but playing a trans orange SR5 in the Bass Cellar really made me smile. Eventually I bought a natural SR5 brand new (btw it was less than £1000 with a hard shell case ;-). )!! The price ws far cry from my about to arrive Sabre!!

Anyway Pixiechick23 I suggest you go and try some and see what you think.

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='Pixiechick23' timestamp='1411123371' post='2556651']
4 strings, don't care what colour. There's one for sale on here if it's not gone [2 I'm looking at, one a stingray, one a sterling] 2EQ from BassVentura-FretDetective and I gotta say it's tempting me a little more than the Sterling if it's not gone yet.
[/quote]
A lady bass player I know prefers a Sterling. Same sound as a Stingray but with jazz like neck width.

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1411389231' post='2558968']
Fixed that for you there...
[/quote]

So the ATK sounds more Stingray-like than a "modern" Stingray?

Sure thing :lol:

I love the ATK (pity about the ugly headstock, but everything else is beautiful and sounds great) but... more Stingray than a Stingray? Then again, some people say the G&L L2000 can sound like a Stingray (which it doesn't, at all, ever :lol:)

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1411985079' post='2564481']

So the ATK sounds more Stingray-like than a "modern" Stingray?

Sure thing :lol:

I love the ATK (pity about the ugly headstock, but everything else is beautiful and sounds great) but... more Stingray than a Stingray? Then again, some people say the G&L L2000 can sound like a Stingray (which it doesn't, at all, ever :lol:)
[/quote]

Shame on me for having an opinion...

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1411985434' post='2564484']

Shame on me for having an opinion...
[/quote]
I didn't say you couldn't have one, the FACT that you can buy a brand new 2 eq stingray today in a shop near you fitted with the same pickup and exact same two band preamp using the same micro chip as a stingray from around 1979 would suggest your more modern stingray comment is flawed that's all :)

Edited by stingrayPete1977

By the same token all the pre-EB fanboys must also be in the wrong then...

Regardless, having tried an ATK back-to-back with 2 Stingrays, the ATK (ATK300 - the lowest in the range at the time) wiped the floor with the 'Rays in EVERY regard at just over a third of the price. I've owned 4 EBMMs over the past 15 years so it's not an uninformed opinion.

Edited by Bigwan

Not at all, informed pre eb fans know all about the different pre amps available and longer pickup pole pieces, three bolt necks, thru body stringing etc hence why I said 1979 onwards rather than earlier, the fit finish, neck, hardware, sound and feel on my classic five is better than any atk and so it should for over two thousand pounds :)

[quote name='mingsta' timestamp='1411993981' post='2564599']
Having never played an ATK, I have no opinion.

However, I reckon this discussion would go down a treat on the Ernie Ball forum ;)
[/quote]

I'd be tarred and feathered over there...