Why become a member? ×

I have Stingray GAS so bad

Pixiechick23

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1411992204' post='2564568']
Not at all, informed pre eb fans know all about the different pre amps available and longer pickup pole pieces, three bolt necks, thru body stringing etc hence why I said 1979 onwards rather than earlier, the fit finish, neck, hardware, sound and feel on my classic five is better than any atk and so it should for over two thousand pounds :)
[/quote]

Glad you got what you paid for. We'll have to agree to disagree I think...

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1411998989' post='2564684']
Have you tried a classic, ok there not worth the money but I don't really care but they are really nice basses.
[/quote]

Nope. Unlikely to either I'm afraid, since my ATK scratches my MM itch just fine. I can personally think of better basses (for me, imho and ymmv) to spend 2k on :)

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1412018625' post='2564983']

why the hurt?

you have yours, I have mine, and we're allowed to disagree :)
[/quote]
Just so long as we all understand that Messrs StingrayPete and McNach are right 😉 😃

If I was going to spend £400 to get a soundalike StingRay I think I'd buy an SBMM version - at least I would get the rest of an approximation of the StingRay experience ........ or maybe a used USA built Sub. Crikey if it's good enough for one of the late James Brown's bass players, it's good enough for me!!

And of course the pre EB guys can have their view, just like those that tell you a battered 63 P bass is worth £8k, and is that much different from a new AVRI P bass (also nearly £2K) - they will certainly both shed paint by merelyly standing in a decent wind - whereas your Mexican P bass won't, and sounds pretty similar to me - I don't get it with them but I sure do with Stingrays. But that's the bass guitar market for you!!

To the OP and others with Stingray GAS, go and try some - if you can get your hands on a Classic Ray to try out then do so. All those little details like the figured maple necks and chrome truss rod wheel just add to the overall feeling of playing a quality instrument.

Edited by drTStingray

'Pre-EB Guys'? As an owner of a Pre-EB Stingray, I can report certain factual things about my bass. The neck is very slim (to my taste), the treble control adds a very high frequency fizz to the sound (fab for slap and general livening the sound if needed) it's not unduly heavy and plays like butter.

I've had some EB Stingrays and liked the mid control, but the necks have not been the same and they don't give that very high frequency with the treble control.

These don't make it worth £8k, nor are these features to everyones taste. At the moment (while my custom bass on on long term being looked at) my 'Ray is in every day use and I'm loving it!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1412112720' post='2565886']
I would be tempted by another pre EB ray if it was in mint as new condition and if it was Inca Silver even though I would not really use it enough, it is [u]the [/u]best colour IMO.
[/quote]
But extremely rare - I once found such a beastie - it was immaculate with a white pu cover and hadn't started to go green, as they sometimes do - the one that got away as it were ......... I found out white pu covers were an option until around 1977 - which I guess is why Alan Gorrie has one on a natural bodied Ray on an AWB DVD I have.

I had a 'Back in the day' conversation with my son a couple of days back and he was asking me what bass colours were popular in music shops in the late 70s and particularly pre EB Rays (I was a fan back then also). My recollection is that until the mid 80s the only ones I ever saw in shops or otherwise were natural, sunburst (not as common) and black (I saw one - in the hands of the bass player from a band with a number 1 single). I didn't even know they made brown, silver or white ones until about 15 yrs ago!!!

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1412104389' post='2565741']
'Pre-EB Guys'? As an owner of a Pre-EB Stingray, I can report certain factual things about my bass. The neck is very slim (to my taste), the treble control adds a very high frequency fizz to the sound (fab for slap and general livening the sound if needed) it's not unduly heavy and plays like butter.

I've had some EB Stingrays and liked the mid control, but the necks have not been the same and they don't give that very high frequency with the treble control.
[/quote]
Hi 4strings, I used the 'pre EB guys' moniker to avoid using the nasty 'f' word ....... I think you'll find the EB Classic Rays have the neck feature you describe (theyre 7.5 in radius compared to the regular 11 in radius), and the 2 band should give that shimmering treble sound.

I used to own a pre EB (from new)and one in decent condition is a great instrument - indeed I wish I'd bought the inca silver mentioned above, a few years back. Love my Classic Ray though.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1412018625' post='2564983']

why the hurt?

you have yours, I have mine, and we're allowed to disagree :)
[/quote]

True, but then why the little laughing emoticon? It's belittling...

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1412114261' post='2565915']
Hi 4strings, I used the 'pre EB guys' moniker to avoid using the nasty 'f' word ....... I think you'll find the EB Classic Rays have the neck feature you describe (theyre 7.5 in radius compared to the regular 11 in radius), and the 2 band should give that shimmering treble sound.

I used to own a pre EB (from new)and one in decent condition is a great instrument - indeed I wish I'd bought the inca silver mentioned above, a few years back. Love my Classic Ray though.
[/quote]

Not played a 'Classic', if I was buying a new 'Ray and had enough money I'd be looking at those first (although if I had that sort of money I'm sure I'd be looking for another Pre-EB!).

I don't think they have any magic, they just suit me perfectly. The neck is quite wide (top to bottom) but also fabulously slim (front to back). Not sure I'd notice the board radius but I'm sure that adds to the feel.

Do the maple Classic 'Rays have one piece necks (i.e. no separate fingerboard)?

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1412152528' post='2566081']
Not played a 'Classic', if I was buying a new 'Ray and had enough money I'd be looking at those first (although if I had that sort of money I'm sure I'd be looking for another Pre-EB!).

I don't think they have any magic, they just suit me perfectly. The neck is quite wide (top to bottom) but also fabulously slim (front to back). Not sure I'd notice the board radius but I'm sure that adds to the feel.

[/quote]

There is the faintest of lines I think which indicates they must cut the board off and put it back on after cutting the truss slot or use a matched piece of wood, mine has no skunk strip anyway but it is a seriously good finish and the board has birdseye markings just like the neck on mine, they are nothing like a standard EBMM neck at all. I only have one because of the 5 string, I was very happy with both my pre EB Rays that said these classic s are really nice!

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1412152528' post='2566081']

[/quote]

The radius change reduces the depth front to back of the neck I think.

The neck and fingerboard are made from the same piece of wood (for maple fingerboard basses) - the fingerboard is fitted to the neck after the truss rod has been fitted. It's a glued joint and extremely strong making for a rigid structure - it's very difficult to see the join as they match the woods.

As you know, the pre EBs use a walnut insert (skunk stripe) as do the EBMMs up to the early 90s, with the truss rod adjuster at the headstock end - More recent MM basses have the wheel truss rod adjuster at the body end, as do all SR5s (from the start of production in 1987)

The Classics generally have a varnished finish which is very slick to play (unless you get an LE like my new Sabre - it has an unfinished roasted maple neck which is even slicker than the regular one).

You should try one - mine pushes all the classic Stingray buttons for me.

Edited by drTStingray

The Classics sound great, and if all Pre-EBs were used up then they would be ideal.

Not sure why a one piece neck seems better, but I like that, shame they didn't keep that feature (with the rear mounted truss rod and skunk stripe). But, I do prefer the 'unfinished' neck for feel and playing to the old varnished finish and I think this has been a progressive step. Nothing wrong with the varnish, just prefer the slick, woody feel (for my Ruach custom, where more than a nod is made to Stingrays, the unfinished neck being one).

I ought to try a Classic, you're right but, tbh, I'd like to get through a few G&Ls as well. I envy those old, '80s era G&Ls. Love the brutal simplicity of them.

• 3 weeks later...