Why become a member? ×

Polytune 2 Mini struggling with Drop-D?

1976fenderhead

I got this pedal today and only tested for a bit at home, I notice that when I'm trying to tune the 4th string in D, when I pluck the string it shows the polyphonic display for a second or so before it shows the normal monophonic screen... This happens even if I mute the other strings, but only happens with pick and not with fingers :huh:

I haven't tried it with my 5-string yet to see how it handles the B... Has anyone had this experience with the Mini and lower tunings?

I had a Boss TU-2 that couldn't manage the B string. I had to tune to the E on the 5th fret.

So another note or harmonic is the way to go. As long as your bass is in tune with itself that will be fine.

PS - I don't know this tuner, but are there different modes? Are you switched to the right mode for chromatic tuning?

PPS - The web site says it can do drop D. Check your set up.

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1411116880' post='2556551']
PS - I don't know this tuner, but are there different modes? Are you switched to the right mode for chromatic tuning?
[/quote]

It's supposed to detect whether you plucked all strings or just one and show the appropriate display. So it's thinking for a second that I plucked more than one and then it realises it was wrong, basically...

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1411116880' post='2556551']
PPS - The web site says it can do drop D. Check your set up.
[/quote]

Yes, but then again that could be just for guitar. AFAIK the original Polytune Mini didn't do polyphonic tuning for basses although that wasn't clearly stated anywhere, and it seems to be the case with this one as well...

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1411122781' post='2556644']
Mine does a low D, low B, even if I drop that to A, without issues. Then again I use my fingers when tuning. Probably just some strange resonance coming from your bass at that pitch that confuses it slightly.
[/quote]

So it seems... Was that with a standard or mini version?

I've got a polytune 2 tuner and I find mine will track almost any bass tuning situation providing I pluck the string at the octive so to speak.
Doesn't matter whether by finger or pick.
I guess that could be because maybe there's less harmonic content in the signal being tracked - that is, if you've plucked the string exactly half way along its length ?
anyway, I'm no expert, but thats just what I've always noticed over the years with different tuners - I've always got best tuning tracking when plucking the strings in that way ?
Cheers

Edited by Nostromo

[quote name='Nostromo' timestamp='1411212678' post='2557537']
I've got a polytune 2 tuner and I find mine will track almost any bass tuning situation providing I pluck the string at the octive so to speak.
[/quote]

Harmonics and upper frets have been mentioned a few times here, if that's how I have to tune between D and B with this pedal then remind me again what's the point of the Polytune vs the Pitchblack or TU-3 which have no problems with open strings for those tunings? Thought the Polytune was better? I'm keeping this Mini for space-saving reasons but I suppose I won't be selling the Pitchblack after all for when I have more room again, since it seems superior after all...

Edited by 1976fenderhead

I've just tested it with my 5-string bass and exactly the same thing happens: it does not have problems tuning between E and B, what it does have a problem with is detecting immediately that only 1 one string is being plucked in those registers and not all of them at the same time (erroneously displaying the poly screen for a second before correcting itself). So although tuning is accurate once it corrects itself, this problem with their 'MonoPoly' system makes tuning a bit slower. Would be better if we could deactivate Poly tuning altogether.

Again, bizarrely this only happens with pick and not with fingers, exactly same results with both basses.

Edited by 1976fenderhead

I have a normal poly tune it has no problem with low B and can even follow a fairly quick bass line on my upright bass too, how will is the bass set up regarding intonation, could it be producing some weird extra tones firing up the poly function? I've known the phase thing of a jazz bass cause trouble with tuners, selecting a single pickup or playing near the bridge helped a lot.

[quote name='Mr Anthony' timestamp='1411291835' post='2558113']
Must say I've have no problems with my mini 2 noir. I'm using a Precision with quarter pounders. Works with both pick and fingers.

As mentioned, maybe you just have a bit of a funny one. Would be worth asking TC to see if they know what's going on.
[/quote]

Yeah, seems like I should give that a go.

Edited by 1976fenderhead

Yeah this doesn't sound right. I have the original polytune and if you are only sounding one string then it should go straight to individual string tuning mode. That was why i said to hold the other strings was to make sure you are sounding any other strings as that can confuse it (with mine i don't have to do that but i find if i've accidently sent it into multistring tuning mode doing that brings it out of that mode faster). Doesn't sound right to me either.