Why become a member? ×

Mexican P Bass

BettySwallocks

Hi Guys
Earlier in the year I bought a used Mexican P Bass. I wanted a the P to wear flats.
So I looked up the string gauge on the fender website and put the same gauge Chromes on it.

I instal the Chromes and it makes the formally low action,super high, worried it took it to my local luthier.
He did a setup and said the truss rod was pretty much maxed out and advised me to put lower gauge, lower tension strings on it.

I put La Bella Rx on it, set up again and it plays like a demon.

Fast forward a few months and I would like to get a MIM 50's P Bass but I'm worried the same thing will happen.

I need a bass with a nice low action due to past hand problems.

So should a '50s P Bass be good for a low action wearing flats?

Any help greatly appreciated

Cheers
Betty

Too much relief (that can't be corrected using the truss rod) might cause fret buzz on the higher frets, with or without any neck shim. You might just have been unlucky with the neck on your current P bass and another bass might have plenty of adjustment in the neck, however if you're happy with the La Bellas then maybe consider putting those on the 50's P bass you're considering. Another option is get a shop to put the strings you'd like on an instrument and check it's playing exactly how you like before you part with any cash?

With someone who knows what they`re doing (or someone who gives it a go, persists and gets there in the end) you should be able to get a great action on that. After all, when the original version of that Precision came out there were only had flats to choose from.

[quote name='BettySwallocks' timestamp='1411159814' post='2557218']
what I meant to say was, if I buy this (MIM 50's Precision) Will I be able to put flats on it and get I nice low action?
[/quote]

Almost certainly, yes*.

If you're buying it new from a shop ask them to throw in a set-up as part of the deal. Tell them you want flats and a low action. If you're buying it off the web or privately then take it to a decent luthier and ask them to do the same. If you're anywhere near Bath bring it here and I'll do you a basic set-up for nix.

[size=3]*One in every few thousand MIM 50's P-Basses may resist for some bizarre reason. Don't worry.[/size]

[size=3].[/size]

Edited by skankdelvar