Why become a member? ×

What is the difference between a SansAmp RBI and a Tech 21 VT Bass Rack ?

Nostromo

Hi,

I've been borrowing a very old SansAmp Bass DI pedal from a friend for the last 6 months or so, have had very good results from it fine tuning tone to suit gigs and DI'ing out to PA's and I'm now quite sorry to see it go back to its original owner.

So, I've been looking on the Tech 21/SansAmp web site to get up to date info, where I noticed they do 19" 1U rack units. Which would suit me as I have a 1U space in my amp rack.

The web site seems to have two potential units that are similar to the floor pedal, one is the SansAmp RBI rack unit and the other is the Tech 21 VT Bass rack, pictures below:-

SansAmp RBI rack unit

Tech 21 VT Bass rack

It seems that SansAmp and Tech 21 are in fact one and the same company, and I've spent a while comparing the specs for these two units on their website, but must confess I don't seem to be able to grasp what, if anything, is the fundamental difference between these two units ? . . . whilst I'm thinking that surely these days no manufacturer could afford to market two competing units that do the same range of things ?

Any advice on the differences would be very very much appreciated ?

Thanks for that,
I think if thats the case then the BDI would probably be the one for me as I can get all the fattness and big sound I want out of my various valve heads and my SWR500. Not suggesting my SWR sounds like a B15 . . . . but I think Rumble Heads are close to the SVT sound ?
Shame I can't get an online supplier to send me both rack units so I can try them out and then keep one and return the other ! . . . wouldn't that be an amazing online service !!
Cheers,

Edited by Nostromo

[quote name='Mudpup' timestamp='1411212695' post='2557538']
I believe the VT version is aimed towards the Ampeg SVT and B15 baked in sound and the BDI is a less coloured preamp.
[/quote]

Yes that`s my view of these - the BDI is Sansamps own sound, whereas the VT is really Ampeg biased. Our producer, who is Ampeg nuts, loves my VT DI pedal.

[quote name='Nostromo' timestamp='1411213156' post='2557544']
Thanks for that,
I think if thats the case then the BDI would probably be the one for me as I can get all the fattness and big sound I want out of my various valve heads and my SWR500. Not suggesting my SWR sounds like a B15 . . . . but I think Rumble Heads are close to the SVT sound ?
Shame I can't get an online supplier to send me both rack units so I can try them out and then keep one and return the other ! . . . wouldn't that be an amazing online service !!
Cheers,
[/quote]

Try Thomann.......