Why become a member? ×

Replacing Pickups on Fenix Jazz...

Donnyboy

I'm trying to replace the original pickups with a set of Wilkinsons,and before I botch it i thought I'd ask for advice. I've replaced picups on a Fender Jazz and that was fairly straightforward but these look quite a bit different wiring wise.

Here's a pic of what's there just now

and here's the ones I want to stick in

Should I just solder everything onto the middle pot?

Any advice gratefully received

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Should I just solder everything onto the middle pot?[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]No! --- The White from the neck pickup goes to top pot and the Yellow from bridge pickup goes to Middle pot and Blacks go to earth ( Usually pot body ) Checkout standard Jazz wiring diagram if in doubt![/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Will.[/font][/color]

[quote name='Donnyboy' timestamp='1411221585' post='2557645']
Ta, the reason i thought about doing the middle is because that's where the pickup wires are soldered onto. [b]it's also got one of these copper(?) strips from the bridge to the bridge pickup..[/b]
[/quote]

That's to earth it, saves making a hole in the Bass to put an earth wire from the bridge forward...!

[quote name='cachao' timestamp='1411381545' post='2558864']
I might be inclined to buy a pre-wired jazz loom, with clamps to installed pickup wires. Saves a ton of soldering crap.
[/quote]+1 :)
[quote name='BassBunny' timestamp='1411404577' post='2559197']
It looks like the existing pickups have screened cables, so the screens are soldered together on the middle pot and then the "hot" wire wired to it's own pot. The yellows look lke earth wires to the pickup cavaties.
[/quote]That's about right, looks as if the red wires are extensions of the centre of the screened lead, to the middle tag on each respective pot - neck & bridge.

To be honest - I would suggest replacing those pots & the jack socket with decent stuff ;)

To fit the Wilkinsons - the white from neck pup to centre of neck volume, yellow from bridge pup to bridge volume centre tag - (replacing the reds) both blacks from pups to pot bodies & leave the existing yellows where they are. B)

Edited by KiOgon

• 2 months later...

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1411407395' post='2559241']
+1 :)
That's about right, looks as if the red wires are extensions of the centre of the screened lead, to the middle tag on each respective pot - neck & bridge.

To be honest - I would suggest replacing those pots & the jack socket with decent stuff ;)

To fit the Wilkinsons - the white from neck pup to centre of neck volume, yellow from bridge pup to bridge volume centre tag - (replacing the reds) both blacks from pups to pot bodies & leave the existing yellows where they are. B)
[/quote]

Thanks very much Mr KiOgon - it all sorted now thanks to your goodself.

Here's a pic with the card the kit came with - from a Chivas Regal whisky box - class in a glass !! Cheerz!!