Why become a member? ×

XLR leads and me Mike...

yorks5stringer

Just come back from the sound check for tonight's gig in a Barn ( literally), it's a Wedding Venue. I do some throaty BV's and as my Mike lead was a bit short to the desk due to the size of the room, I joined 2 X 10m XLRs together... but no sound. So I disconnected them and tried each 10m one in turn and they both worked individually into the desk.Yet joined together they don't work. How can this be, it defies logic?

Did you get the same sort of level when trying them individually? It could be that one cable had been "ground lifted" - i.e. had the shield disconnected for noise or anti mouth zapping reasons, but the other one was either wired unbalanced or had an issue with one of the signal cores which would mean it would need the ground to complete the circuit ? You would expect the unbalanced or "one legged" cable to be quieter, but you might not notice so much in a noisy barn!

well it would seem that the two cables aren't wired the same.
Most likely to myself would be one cable having 'L' (pin 2) connected to 'GND/Screen' (pin1) an the other having 'R' (pin3) connected to pin1.
Both of these cables could function between a balanced output and input but not when in series.
Should be easy enough to undo XLR connectors and take a look or buzz out with a DMM.