Why become a member? ×

Slab66 in 'White Blonde'.

slab66

[attachment=172194:SAM_0882.JPG][attachment=172195:SAM_0883.JPG][attachment=172196:SAM_0881.JPG][attachment=172198:SAM_0880.JPG][attachment=172199:SAM_0879.JPG][attachment=172200:SAM_0870.JPG][attachment=172203:SAM_0895.JPG][attachment=172204:SAM_0884.JPG][attachment=172205:SAM_0900.JPG]Based a bit more on the original apart from the gold anodized pick guard and birds eye maple rosewood capped neck. I also used the '67' paddle tuners. I had the neck made by B. Hefner in the USA, and I must admit, he did a really nice job. The neck was very straight and correct with the 7.25" fret board radius and slim 'C' vintage back profile. I had read mixed reports about Bernie, but I would use another one of his necks and very good value for the money. I added the Chrome pickup and bridge covers for a bit more an authentic look. I'm personally not that keen on them. I fitted a brass nut and saddles to a vintage Fender bridge. The pips were custom hand wound clear dipped and I used vintage NOS tone cap for that era. It turned out nice and I was able to get a lovely low action without any buzz. Tone wise, it was nice and barky with plenty of high and low end. I use a 300W Ashdown combo and it loved it. Bring up the mids and that vintage woody growl punches right out. The overwounds also added to that 'overdriven' scream. and howl. I would have to have tried it through a nice valve head, but, hey, you can't have everything.

Edited by slab66

• 2 weeks later...

I've always wanted a slab P since I saw an article in Bassist magazine years ago.
I saw the one that belonged to T-Rex's bass player down Denmark St a good few years ago. For some stupid reason I didn't go and kick its tyres.
There was a late 60s Rickenbacker 4005 and a early 50s custom colour P down there too around that time. I didn't try those either.
I am a silly boy.
Lovely work mate. I've seen a few of yours now and they all look stunning.

[quote name='davedave' timestamp='1412454097' post='2569099']
I've always wanted a slab P since I saw an article in Bassist magazine years ago.
I saw the one that belonged to T-Rex's bass player down Denmark St a good few years ago. For some stupid reason I didn't go and kick its tyres.
There was a late 60s Rickenbacker 4005 and a early 50s custom colour P down there too around that time. I didn't try those either.
I am a silly boy.
Lovely work mate. I've seen a few of yours now and they all look stunning.
[/quote]

I remember that T Rex bass. It had a whacking great pickup installed by the bridge - a Guild I think. Ruined the charm a bit for me.