Why become a member? ×

Overdrives/distortions on Soundblox OFD vs B3k

tonyclaret

Not really a case of a different league, just different sounding pedals. The OFD can't replicate the B3K and vice versa. The OFD way more versatile, but I only liked some of the low gain natural tube amp overdrive sounds and wasn't so keen on the rest. The B3K is more suited to playing modern metal with a growly bass and a pick. It can of course be used for more than that, but that sounds like what it was designed for.

[quote name='sifi2112' timestamp='1411323271' post='2558433']
I'd like to know too ... B3K gets my vote but the SA OFD was/is certainly on my radar as well. I think that some on Talkbass have managed to get close to the B3K with the OFD ...
[/quote]
Interesting, I know I'd seen a discussion on the vintage gettin close but not the B3k.

I have had both but I have only kept OFD. While B3K is great at what it does, it is just one trick pony.

OFD sounds even better if you can eq midrange (300-600Hz) into it. A slight boost in that range makes it sound great. Also, some mild JFET overdrive or over-driven tube amp after it in the chain brings nice details. Don't get me wrong, it sounds great on its own, it is just that I like to fiddle with things ;)

Another nice feature is that the noise gate can also be used with a clean signal only.

But it is true you won't get that B3K tone.

Edited by kyboo