Why become a member? ×

New band Mixing desk advice - Basschat team assemble!!

Me And My Bass

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1411419311' post='2559426']
Am happy with my Soundcraft 16 channel, however with power amp (mid weight), driverack and well built flight case ... it is now too heavy. Watch the weight, and size as you have found.
[/quote]

Cheers mate, we are using active tops . . the desk would be in its own case.

If you have an iPad, stretch to a mackie dl1608. It makes sense - fx, gates, compressors, 31 band eq, 6 aux sends, remote control for foh and monitor mixes from iPad or iPhone. All in a compact, lightweight package.

Edited by EBS_freak

^ I use a DL1608 a lot and really like it. Certain convenience of iPad control if mixing whilst playing (eg can have iPad on a mic stand, music stand or on top of a keyboard/bass cab, whatever)....then again some stuff is slower than analogue (harder to reach down and 'tweak one knob' in between playing if you actually have to go through menus).

I was brought up on the old Soundcraft desks they were on the large side but good desks.
They then brought out the spirit range, a sort of economy version similar to Squire's, the spirits were very popular possibly mainly because they were the comparatively cheap and had a lot of features not seen before at desk in that price range but they left me underwhelmed.
Ideally you need to try a desk for a few gigs to see if it suits you. I don't know what Soundcraft MFXI 12 is like and I suppose it depends what you want the desk for, not all desks are equal, using a lesser desk you will notice a difference, in volume, punch, clarity, tightness of bass even with a flat EQ. I would rather take in a large Soundcraft the use a small Spirit.

Have a look at the Peavey 16fx, we recently bought one of these second hand for £300 inc case.

It has 6 auxs, 4 sub groups and twin effects where you can have 3 effects on each channel.

It has the usual reverbs and delays, plus it also has 31 band and parametris eq's, compressors,

limiters, feedback detection and loads of other stuff. Great piece of kit for the money.