Why become a member? ×

My new Solo Arrangements book - opinions please!

Stuart Clayton

Hi everyone,

As some of you know, for some time I've been working sporadically on a book called [b]Solo Arrangements for Electric Bass[/b]. The idea of the book is to feature solo arrangements (surprise surprise) of well-known popular songs with in-depth notes about how to play them, general technique instruction, and how to go about arranging solo music for the bass.

I've finally managed to start recording these pieces, and have decided to offer one up for a free download. The piece in question is a Jazz Medley and features four songs: My funny Valentine, Serenade to a Cuckoo, Take The A Train, and St Thomas. As you'll hear, it's highly complex and requires a good working knowledge of several techniques.

Here's the link: [url="http://www.basslinepublishing.com/solos.html"]http://www.basslinepublishing.com/solos.html[/url]

I'd love to get some feedback on this piece, and the book in general. I'm very excited about it, and have been trying to let the music happen at its own speed - this is why the book is taking so long, I think you have to let these pieces evolve naturally. In a few weeks time I will also be uploading some videos of me performing some of the pieces so you can get an idea of what's to come.

Anyway, I hope you all enjoy, and please do let me know what you think, either by replying here, or emailing me at [email protected]

Cheers!
Stu

[quote name='wulf' post='26122' date='Jul 2 2007, 05:35 PM']Sounds great. How about a sample score for part of one of the tunes - or pehaps a couple of snippets illustrating an easier passage and a tricky one?

Wulf[/quote]

Thanks Wulf. I actually am intending to do something like that. I'll upload the notation for one of the sections tomorrow.

Cheers
Stu

Aaargh! Would it be easier for me to just set up a Direct Debit with you? First the Stu Hamm book, now this! :)

Seriously, it sounds great, I shall add it to my "things to buy off Stuart" list. Am just on my way gigwards so haven't looked at the score yet, but will do on the weekend when I have a more time.

Cheers,
Alun

[quote name='Alun' post='27075' date='Jul 4 2007, 05:35 PM']Aaargh! Would it be easier for me to just set up a Direct Debit with you? First the Stu Hamm book, now this! :)

Seriously, it sounds great, I shall add it to my "things to buy off Stuart" list. Am just on my way gigwards so haven't looked at the score yet, but will do on the weekend when I have a more time.

Cheers,
Alun[/quote]

Haha, don't worry Alun, this one's not gonna be out for a while, I think it's going to take a while to write/record!

Stu

• 2 weeks later...

Stuart, this sounds like it'll be a worthwhile book. One thing I'd say is that I for one would prefer it if all the compositions where for 4 string bass. I've bought books in the past (such as Jimmy Haslip's Jazz standards) which were a real PITA because all the interpretations were for 5 or 6 string bass. Love the little piece of my funny valentine in this medley by the way, although being one of my favourite tunes I'd say it deserves a track by itself! Shades of Jeff Berlin there ...

Edited by BB2000

[quote name='lukeward2004' post='26895' date='Jul 4 2007, 11:25 AM']Excellent Stuff Stuart - I will be buying this book, and if it is as well laid out and presented as your slap book, you are onto a winner![/quote]

+1 will too

And if I start practicing my tap tapping now I might be just about ready by the time it comes out!

[quote name='BB2000' post='31572' date='Jul 13 2007, 09:20 PM']Stuart, this sounds like it'll be a worthwhile book. One thing I'd say is that I for one would prefer it if all the compositions where for 4 string bass. I've bought books in the past (such as Jimmy Haslip's Jazz standards) which were a real PITA because all the interpretations were for 5 or 6 string bass. Love the little piece of my funny valentine in this medley by the way, although being one of my favourite tunes I'd say it deserves a track by itself! Shades of Jeff Berlin there ...[/quote]

Thanks - I think so far there's only one piece in the book that requires a five string - all the rest are on 4-string. Much easier!

Stu