Why become a member? ×

Help With First Pedal Board

njr911

I've only used 2 pedals when playing live before a tuner and Bad Monkey for a bit of boost and bite. I'm now wanting to replicate the sounds of the songs we play a bit more closely and have a few more colours on my board.

You can blame that 100 Bass riffs video by the Chicago Music Exchange, that made me look at the variety of sounds you can get from one bass and 4 pedals.

I have a few pedals hanging around and an old Stagg pedal board but need a bit of help setting it up.

Here's a before pic -

Please could I get some feedback on pedal order and layout.

Are there some on the board I'll never use ? I'm also wanting another few pedals - Fuzz of some sort, octaver, corus...for no reason other than I'm a tart with a new obsession.

For power I'll be using a Boss transformer with 8 (I think) plugs coming off it, so will need a socket on the board too.

I doubt I'll use the A/B box so that can come off.

Input jack access to the tuner is tricky so was thinking of using a raiser block for the back row of pedals (Can you buy them? or do you make them ?)

I'm going to need velcro....lots of velcro, and patch cables..best place to purchase ?

Sorry for the ton of n00bie questions.

I'll post up and after shot as soon as it's complete :)

Edited by njr911

Ello njr911. I'm a pedal newb too, but looks like a few weeks ahead of you, and thus a few hundred quid lighter.

This article gives some good guidance over considerations for order of pedals in chain, but there are no absolute rules so its a case of experimenting with what sounds best:

[url="http://www.ovnilab.com/articles/chain.shtml"]http://www.ovnilab.com/articles/chain.shtml[/url]

With that many pedals, you might want to think about upgrading your powersupply rather than daisychaining 8 pedals (this can cause hum, but if you're not having any problems then great!). Isolated power supplies are considered to be superior and reduce the chances of getting hum. They are very expensive, but Harley Benton do a very good value for money one. Each unit has five isolated power supplies so you could either buy two of them, or just the one unit and daisy chain the well behaved pedals and give the fussier pedals their own supply:

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_powerplant_junior.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_powerplant_junior.htm[/url]

You can get the velcro off ebay, just search pedal velcro or something similar.

[quote name='tonyquipment' timestamp='1411476452' post='2559850']
You've got GAS

I would suggest a compressor - limiter

And maybe a noise gate

Get a LS2 as well, you'll probably end up blending various signals and want some clean left over
[/quote]

:) Bad gas, i've just bought a new bass so the excess gas had to go somewhere....Pedals are cheaper than cars so I'm thinking myself lucky.

I have a Behringer compressor so covered. What does a LS2 actually do ?

For what pedals & which order, only you can answer that. The fun of building a pedal board is playing about with the order & finding sounds that you like.

A good starting place to look is to google "Shep on bass" & read through his fx blogs. Verrry informative & useful.

[quote name='ratman' timestamp='1411555310' post='2560559']
My board cost a lot more than my car is worth lol. And the car isn't a banger! :)
[/quote]

I regret getting in to the pedal game...after 2 decades of just plugging and playing straight in to an amp.

I'm currently buying a host of pedals to cover every tone shaping possibility that I don't actually need.

But still....its a lot of fun!!!

[quote name='mingsta' timestamp='1411557637' post='2560581']
I regret getting in to the pedal game...after 2 decades of just plugging and playing straight in to an amp.

I'm currently buying a host of pedals to cover every tone shaping possibility that I don't actually need.

But still....its a lot of fun!!!
[/quote]

Andy they look cool.

Has everyone see the Distortion and Wah documentories on You Tube ? Well worth a watch

[quote name='njr911' timestamp='1411477667' post='2559864']

:) Bad gas, i've just bought a new bass so the excess gas had to go somewhere....Pedals are cheaper than cars so I'm thinking myself lucky.

I have a Behringer compressor so covered. What does a LS2 actually do ?
[/quote]

It's a great and expensive journey you've embarked on, such discovery, such wow.

Results very pleasing.

The LS2 allows you to blend two signals or switch between two sets of effects

Allowing more complex tone blends and crazy combinations not possible in a single linear chain

It's worth buying one, most bass humans has one in their toolbox.

Many would be lost without their trusty LS2

Line SELECTA

That's a lot of dirt pedals.
It would make more sense to go try out & have a listen to each pedal to see what you like. You'll find you could possibly narrow down to 2 good dirt pedals on your board.
What you need to do is work out what sort of music you're playing & what you need to do in relation to the other musicians in your band.
There's not a point to having 2 dirt pedals that sound just slightly different, as the minute you add other instruments, the bass sound becomes less definable.

This is dependent on what your band sound like though.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1411646870' post='2561487']
shhhh, we can buy them all used when he gets bored!
[/quote]

lol

I know too much dirt but I can't help myself lol.

I have no real need for any of these in the band, maybe a couple of dirt/boost pedals but nothing more than that.

I should buy a Pedaltrain mini and have tuner and a couple of dirts and a compressor and be done...BUT i won't know what pedal I like until I buy them all ;)

digital and analogue delay too

on a serious note, if you've never played much with pedals, I'd get a multi effects like a Zoom B2.1U or B3. Then you can use this to find the effcts you like. You may be happy with the sounds you can get from the unit, or you might decide to replace it with other pedals, but at least you'll know which effects you like.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1411734748' post='2562359']
digital and analogue delay too

on a serious note, if you've never played much with pedals, I'd get a multi effects like a Zoom B2.1U or B3. Then you can use this to find the effcts you like. You may be happy with the sounds you can get from the unit, or you might decide to replace it with other pedals, but at least you'll know which effects you like.
[/quote]

You bastard...I want a B3 as well now!

Might have to sell a few bits to fund a B3...

Anyone want a Bad Monkey, BDI21, DC9 etc..