Why become a member? ×

Picato 766steel / 735nickel feedback

daflewis

Hi All,
As some of you will know, I work for Innovation double bass strings and I run a sub forum in the EUB and Double Bass section...

Now... Innovation is part of Picato strings, and the reason I've surfaced from the depths of DB land is that i have a question for anyone who has used Picato electric bass strings - particularly the 766 steels and/or 735 nickels....

The company sells far more of the 735s and very few 766s, and I'd love to find out why - has anyone had any problems with the 766s? is there something in the sound/tone/evenness across the set?... etc.... Just a bit of feedback please, if that's ok....

Thanks very much in advance.
Cheers!
Daf :)

I'm not sure how useful my feedback is as at is was around four years ago that I installed a set of the 766 steels on a bass, but out of the packet the E string was somewhat darker than the other three and didn't have the zing expected from a new set of steel strings. It wasn't extreme enough to make me think that they were faulty and it seemed to even up after a few weeks of playing, but players who are looking for that brightness might not be massive fans of them.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

I'd be interested to know across the board how many people use Nickel vs Steel?

Picato probably have stats on this, or there may be forum threads. But, i'd guess a lot more people play nickel than steel? That said, I would imagine people playing on steel change strings more often (and might even be drawn to lower cost sets?)

Let us know if they figure it out! :)

Tom

Hi Tom!
It's been a while... must catch up properly... :)

I don't know actual figures, i'll see if i can get some idea from the factory - as steel is brighter, I'd imagine players who like steels might change them more often to maintain that sound...? but my reason for the question is a concern that there may actually be a problem rather than just personal preference...

Edited by daflewis

• 2 weeks later...

I've used the nickels - nice strings, but the E never seems as lively as the others. Only used the steels once (yonks ago) but remember the E as being dull and I didn't like the rougher feel of stainless. I think of the Picato nickels as a cheaper alternative to DR Sunbeams...and always wondered why shops never used to stock them. I only buy online these days, and rarely change strings.