Why become a member? ×

Another recommend me an OD thread

Iheartreverb

so the story is that (not that I've tried loads) but I can never find an OD that I like.
Everything I've tried usually sounds like when turning on the pedal I have changed my whole set up, they always have an effect on frequencies.
I then moved onto using drives with a blend. What I then found is to keep my low end(and any of the sound I started with) I had the blend so low that I was barely getting any gain at all.

So what I want is something that sounds like my rig but grittier.
I am using whatever set up if provided in various rehersal rooms so the sound must be provided by the pedal rather than something to drive valves.
I play post rock, but that doesn't really matter.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm only looking for medium gain OD, I haven't really got on too much with distortion.
It's worth noting that I am contemplating a programmable sansamp as I can match the tones of each channel but up the gain but I'm wary about this as I had a Behringer BDI21 can't as above I couldn't get the gain without upping the blend (and losing my sound).

It's also worth noting the end of my chain is an MXR M80 for my clean sound.

I've just got my hands on an Ashdown bass drive plus. It's a really nice unit actually. It goes way into proper distortion, but I've found a really nice sounding low gain drive sound which works great with my amp. It's got plenty of controls on it to tweak, if you're looking for something simple it's perhaps not the best. Nor is it in terms of size, but it may be worth having a play. :)

I always recommend it, but reading your description I think it'd be a perfect fit - Ashdown James Lomenzo Hyperdrive. Only downside is it's a little on the big side...

Hyperdrive Demo With James LoMenzo: http://youtu.be/aQDSDA929Sw

Edited by Bigwan

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1412069824' post='2565264']
Doesn't the M80 already do distortion/OD?
[/quote]

It does but it's just distortion and as described above if I blend enough to hear the effect I lose too much low. That and the fact it effects frequencies and changed my sound.

I just want something that doesn't change everything the minute I turn it on.

The Fairfield Barbershop gets recommended as a transparent OD quite a bit over at Talkbass so that might be worth a look.

I can vouch for the DHA VT1 also, great pedal and I may get another one some day.

Another great cheap option is an Earthquaker Devices Speaker Cranker - I'm using one of these as a dirty boost pedal at the moment. It holds the low end well and just boost the top end a little bit, adding a bit of gain and volume without overpowering things.

If you have the cash and looking to try something fancy, I would look at the Creation Audio Grizzly! Their Holy Fire is another good transparent OD, and the Grizzly is their new pedal designed for bass.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1412371418' post='2568433']
Just boxed up and texted a 'Timmy' clone done on veroboard using germanium diodes for the clippers, finished off my stash of mojo diodes, but it's worth it.

No loss of low end at all - it's definitely a transparent OD.
[/quote]

Nice one Paul! :)

Edited by nick