Why become a member? ×

Slappity slap

PaulKing

Just chatting with Nic Dubouchet, french slapper extraordinaire, about his new/soon-to-be-released Pirastro signature string set (exciting!!)

Remembered this little Dubouchet tribute I did by copying a little ditty he posted online once. Wish I could get stuff like this in live... ;o)

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZrufPYrMPo&list=UUrOlaBkAkN1yrRQLtUmRGxA&index=10"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZrufPYrMPo&list=UUrOlaBkAkN1yrRQLtUmRGxA&index=10[/url]

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1411641577' post='2561403']
So is he no longer associated with Cordes Lambert? And out of interest are the new Pirastro strings guts?
[/quote]

He still stands by Lamberts as best full nylon/whacker set.

He's working with Pirastro to develop an affordable E and A to balance perfectly with a selected plain gut G and D, specifically for slappity slappity.
He's gone for a wrapped synthetic (nylon) E and A (rather like, err...Lamberts I guess .... pulls quizzical Austin Powers type expression)

So this'll be the next 'must have' string for me, but I'm guessing it'll come in around £250-£300 a set, for a fractional improvement on Lamberts.
I better start saving, cant resist...

I have been lucky to try prototypes of E and A from Thomas who makes the Gut-a-like strings and the Duke basses. I have played one of what is now available as Gut-a-like twister E strings nylon+copper+nylon for a year on both my basses in every live or studio situation and I can recommend them very highly indeed. I use it with plain gut A, D and G and the sound and feel is superior to any synthetic or steel E strings I tried before IMO. Debouchet is a fantastic player (and so is Paul) and I am sure his Pirastros will be excellent too, of course the price tag will reflect this.
For those who don't have the guts for guts, I have played the full gut-a-like deluxe set at this years summer festivals and it is at least every bit as good as Lamberts in my wee opinion (Lamberts are maybe a bit easier tension and gut-a-like deluxe louder acoustically). Just in case this is useful to anyone...

Edited by Rabbie

• 1 month later...

I'm also anxiously awaiting the Nicolas' Signature Piastro set as a "must have" too (call me a string junkie cause now I'm itchin' for the Gut-a-likes). Although my set-up with the Dominat Solo E, Superior Bassworks Tri-Core A and Gamut Pistoy D&E will be tought to beat. Also had the Cordes Lambert Twin 47 set on before that with good results (especially the E, it was incredible) and Innovation SilverSlaps before that. Enjoyed your youtube Paul with the Twin 47s, I have the same wish.

Really dig Nicolas' sound but also crave getting the tone Mark Winchester gets with Setzer. But of course, it most certainly is above my pay scale;-)

Cheers!

Edited by babaseen

A little off topic but I'll just add my voice to Rabbie's - the Gut-a-Likes with the wrapped E feel and sound great. They came with my Duke bass and I have a set of Lambert Gut Twin 47 still in the box that I just haven't got round to swapping in yet because the Gut-a-Likes do the trick so well. Looking forward to comparing them one day tho.

Back to topic, I won't be going after Nics new strings. Money aside I've tried that quad thing Paul does in the video on Rockabillys, Gut-a-Likes, Dolces and I've realised it ain't the strings that's holding me back, it's relentless practice! Can't beat money-saving revelations! But I'll read any reviews with keen interest...