Why become a member? ×

Tone Hammer with Markbass cabs, anybody tried?

karlfer

I am wondering if anybody has tried the Tone Hammer with Markbass cabs, in particular 2 x Traveler 102p 210's.
Around Manchester area there is no retailer (that I can find), where I can try Markbass amps or the Tone Hammer.
I'm guessing the Markbass heads will work very well, but would like input re the Aguilar if possible.

I am stacking these cabs vertically so need something narrower than the Carvin.
Gutted that I was offered a SVT 7 Pro Ampeg and couldn't take it. Because of width and I have never got on with Ampeg :blush:
It did look fantastic though!

Cheers in advance Basschat Collective.

Edited by karlfer

I used the TH DI Pedal with Markbass CMD121 & NY121. Sounded good, very punchy, and a great Bruce Foxton/JJ Burnell sound was easily available. Knock off the top-end and a very warm rich sound, without being too flubby (tech term there). Can only imagine the actual amp version will be just as good.

[quote name='bagsieblue' timestamp='1411654703' post='2561605']
Have you tried Manchester Bass Lounge Karl?
From the website at least , there seems to be decent range of MB goodies in there.
And other goodies as well for that matter.
[/quote]

I'd be interested in the answer too. They stock mark bass and gk stuff, and I'm looking at the little mark tube and the gk fusion 500.

Thanks for the input folks.
Shui and Lozz, confirming my thoughts, ta.
James, sadly Doncaster and Sheffield would both turn out to be about 4 hour round trips with all the roadwork crap that is going on. Annoyingly I was in Sheffield 3 weeks back but I wasn't looking at the time. The road works around Hillsboro were a bloody nightmare.
Martyn, Guiness I'm fairly sure that although MBL can get you anything, I'm not so sure they have much MB actually in stock. Their website, imo, is bloody awful.
I don't really need to know they had a 121 NY in, in August 2013. I hope their re-branding sorts that out. Of course, it could just be me getting into the wrong part of their website, but that brings the question that if they want everybody to know, do they need to cater for the lowest (IQ) common denominator. IE me.
Barrie, I'm just so glad I can't drop in your gaff. I would be permanently in debt. I've had quite a bit off you in the last couple of months and will be back. An unsolicited top shop and service from me Mr. :D

Edited by karlfer

I'm in exactly the same position Karl! I've mentioned before I just cannot try out what I want to anymore from retailers without travelling miles, even out of Scotland completely! Such a pain as may have to take a 1500-2000 pound plunge for TH500 and 2x210 cabs without even properly trying them. Sign of the times perhaps as high street stores struggle to keep the business going. This is probably the reason I'm reading you guys post on here.

[quote name='Leslie77s' timestamp='1411846126' post='2563311']
I'm in exactly the same position Karl! I've mentioned before I just cannot try out what I want to anymore from retailers without travelling miles, even out of Scotland completely! Such a pain as may have to take a 1500-2000 pound plunge for TH500 and 2x210 cabs without even properly trying them. Sign of the times perhaps as high street stores struggle to keep the business going. This is probably the reason I'm reading you guys post on here.
[/quote]

I know what you mean. I lived in Bannockburn for 13 years and the only place to try stuff was Glasgow. With it's traffic and it's parking :(

That's why, with the exception of heads, which to me must work and be under warranty, I always buy used.
Simply to minimise losses if me no like :P

[quote name='Leslie77s' timestamp='1411896831' post='2563546']
Glasgow is now rubbish too, officially! When get the cash together and tranquillise the wife for long enough I'll make a day of it and head to London to try out Aguilar etc
[/quote]

:lol:
Seem to remember McCormacks, one in Otago St, Sound Control Jamaica St? were ok. Victor Morris? had the occasional item of interest and there was another near that, where I bought my 7 string Conklin bass but the name escapes me now.
Sad they can't produce some decent gear amongst them although I realise there is a lot more available now so stock costs would be higher.
Regardless, that is why they lose out to online retailers I guess.

McCormicks and Sound Control have both closed, Victor Morris is selling crossbows to lunatics, we have a lovely friendly shop called Strung Out Guitars that have some nice private sales passing through, they have a few vintage basses at the moment and service my Bassmans for me. Other than that it's GuitarGuitar. They don't even hold the larger TC amps/combos any more. It's a shame for Scotland's biggest city but there you are. I'll probably end up with Thomann and for a TH500 and a couple of Barefaced cabs as almost all chat is positive.

[quote name='Leslie77s' timestamp='1411931997' post='2564084']
McCormicks and Sound Control have both closed, Victor Morris is selling crossbows to lunatics, we have a lovely friendly shop called Strung Out Guitars that have some nice private sales passing through, they have a few vintage basses at the moment and service my Bassmans for me. Other than that it's GuitarGuitar. They don't even hold the larger TC amps/combos any more. It's a shame for Scotland's biggest city but there you are. I'll probably end up with Thomann and for a TH500 and a couple of Barefaced cabs as almost all chat is positive.
[/quote]

Sad to hear. Try and have a go on Barefaced, see if somebody relatively local can loan you one, especially live. They aren't for everyone. I really am preferring my MB cabs live. Go figure!

[quote name='Iain' timestamp='1411932794' post='2564095']
Have you been in touch with Drew @ Manchester Bass Lounge? He's to blame for my Markbass stack and Big Bang head...
[/quote]

I might do after his relaunch. I find his website difficult as I don't seem to able to find a section where he shows what stock is currently in.
I would need to put aside 4 hours or so for traveling and the appointment. Not really comfortable with concept of how works tbh.

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1411933733' post='2564109']I might do after his relaunch. I find his website difficult as I don't seem to able to find a section where he shows what stock is currently in.
I would need to put aside 4 hours or so for traveling and the appointment. Not really comfortable with concept of how works tbh.[/quote]

I was there a few weeks back and he had a decent assortment of MB kit in - ranging from Combos to cabs, BB Head, Multiamp, etc. I've always found his setup really welcoming - did seem a bit odd first visit but he knows how I like my tea now so it's all good.

In tems of clarity with just a DI box in front of the amp - I used my MB kit with just a SansAmp and it sounded awesome. Looking at the tone hammer I can't see how you could go wrong. The Aguilar compressor looks great too.

For what it's worth, a mate tried a borrowed TH500 tonight through my BF Midget at a small gig, no PA support. The TH seems indeed very good. Some tweaking needed - pushing gain, adding a bit of bass and removing some upper mids for a more old-school sound - but only mild. Articulate, controlled, well voiced. Seemed loud enough. If my current amp went pop, I'd buy one.

Thanks fellas.
Thinking about it, it's all irrelevant really, until I sell my Carvin. May have to take the hit on part ex.

Mr. 77s, I found on some gigs with a Precision, it was very difficult to stop the B/F sounding almost farty.
Often had to take as lot of bass off to get a controlled sound and sometimes even that didn't work.
As ever though that was with my subjective thoughts.

Various combinations that I've heard work recently have been Markbass heads with either Epi 12's or the small Schroeder...
but by the same token, I've heard MB and MB not work, generally.
For me, the MB amp, LM type is just not hefty enough but for quiet volumes they do very well.
As with the Class D types, I've used, it is when you push them that they go lacking.... but mostly
whether I've liked them, has been done to the way the guy plays them. Quieter gigs, no problem
as ease, convenience and weight are the reasons you carry them over all else, but for the better gigs, not so much, IMO.

FWIW, I find the TH warmer and less sterile than the LMll/lll, but I can handle Markbass for quiet gigs/rehearsal, for sure.
I wouldn't call them a forgiving amp....which is why people can make such a pigs ear out of them, IME.

Edited by JTUK

All posts very much appreciated guys I really value your opinions, leaves me with the original problem though I suppose. I'll have to sell what I'm selling and troop around the country with a bag of cash until a rig sings. May have to save longer and get the big boy Aguilar and cabs. Just tell the mrs I made them in the shed.
Good luck with the Carvin sale Karl hope it's a swift successful sale!
I'll be selling soon and the current buyers market doesn't fill me with confidence for the gear I'll shift.

[quote name='Leslie77s' timestamp='1411979325' post='2564421']
All posts very much appreciated guys I really value your opinions, leaves me with the original problem though I suppose. I'll have to sell what I'm selling and troop around the country with a bag of cash until a rig sings. May have to save longer and get the big boy Aguilar and cabs. Just tell the mrs I made them in the shed.
Good luck with the Carvin sale Karl hope it's a swift successful sale!
I'll be selling soon and the current buyers market doesn't fill me with confidence for the gear I'll shift.
[/quote]

One can but try :)

Think the fun is in the trying. I'm lucky in that I have a gig money slush fund. Funny how it's always gone to pretty much zero by the back end of March each year :P

I just moved house that i stripped back to the bricks with all associated costs, gigs have bought real boring stuff from Screwfix! Won't be long Dr Evil Bass is plotting and scheming for the Rig of Doom!
I'll jump on the train south in the new year. Is Manchester any good for retailers? As in more than one/two shops?

[quote name='Leslie77s' timestamp='1412074765' post='2565317']
I just moved house that i stripped back to the bricks with all associated costs, gigs have bought real boring stuff from Screwfix! Won't be long Dr Evil Bass is plotting and scheming for the Rig of Doom!
I'll jump on the train south in the new year. Is Manchester any good for retailers? As in more than one/two shops?
[/quote]

Re Manchester, erm, no. :(
PMT isn't bad but not a huge range. Drew at Manchester Bass Lounge has a great reputation, think it's appointment stuff. Worth contacting him.
Newcastle USED to be good, but that's 20 years ago. Doncaster used to be, but again, long time ago.

Tried a Tone Hammer 500 out in Electro Music Doncaster today.
"Bass guys not in today, what sort of cab do you want?"
"Well I use 2 Markbass 210's like that one"
"OK, I'll plug this 112 in then cos I can get to it."

He then handed me a Bass Collection LINED FRETLESS!!!!!!!!

Could just have been the cab I ended up through but I had to drive the amp about 2 o'clock on gain and 3 o'clock on master to get any volume.
And glares from the terrific member of staff who "helped" me :mellow:

So in conclusion;

I left the shop with my foldy £580 still in my pocket.
I won't be going back to Electro Music
I've been put off the Tone Hammer because what I heard in there was NOTHING like as powerful as my Carvin, and on today's evidence it would struggle to keep up with the mic'ed drummer and two Blackstar half stack toting guitards.