Why become a member? ×

September Composition Challenge - VOTING!

Skol303

[color=#800000][size=5][b]Voting has now started on September’s Composition Challenge!

[/b][/size][/color]

[size=5]Here's the inspiration for this month's music:

[/size]

[size=5]And here are the compositions. Please listen to each track and pick your favourite:

[/size]

[b]Dad3353[/b] [url="http://soundcloud.com/dad3353/wind-in-the-wire

"]Wind In The Wire (54 + 1...)
[/url]

[b]Lurksalot[/b] [url="http://soundcloud.com/lurksalot/tweet

"]Tweet
[/url]

[b]Bilbo[/b] [url="http://soundcloud.com/robert-palmer-1/startling

"]Startling
[/url]

[b]Leonard Smalls[/b] [url="http://soundcloud.com/dredd-and-the-badass-weed/unbalanced"]Unbalanced[/url]

[b]Skol303[/b] [url="http://soundcloud.com/skollob/on-a-wire

"]On A Wire
[/url]

[b]Lowdown[/b] [url="http://soundcloud.com/garrycribb/all-alone"]All Alone
[/url]

[b][color=#800000][size=5]

Voting ends at midnight on Thursday 2nd October.[/size][/color][/b]

Edited by Skol303

Well, here we go again. Another week of doubt and hesitation before me. Which of the many qualities in each of these works will gain enough over the others to tip the balance..? I've listened to them each, as they were initially posted. I've listened to them all again, one after another. I've listened again, in a different order, and each time come to the same blasted conclusion. Each is better than the precedent..! Once again I'm going to save my decision for later. I really can't point to any one and think 'That's it, clear-cut and definitive'. I'll be back. I wish you luck in choosing.

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1411686720' post='2562012']
None of the links work for me...
[/quote]

'Soundcloud' must be down, or something. Patience..?

Typical, eh..? Just when the voting begins, the host goes down. I blame the Russians... :rolleyes:

Edit : From Soundcloud Status, today, 00h28...

[b] [color=#800080]Slowed Service[/color][/b]

[color=#800080]We’re experiencing a large spike in traffic that is slowing service on the site. We’re working on getting response times back to normal as fast as possible. [/color]

[color=#800080]Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for your patience. [/color]
[color=#800080]We’ll update you when service returns to normal.[/color]

Edited by Dad3353

Soundcloud status, Stardate 03h11...

[color=#333333][color=#800080]We’re still having trouble but we’ve got all hands on deck to get service back. Apologies for the delay.[/color][/color]

[size=3]Edit : Soundcloud status, Stardate 04h17...[/size]

[color=#800080]We’re back up. Thank you for your patience.[/color]

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1411686720' post='2562012']
None of the links work for me...
[/quote]
[quote name='Stephen Houghton' timestamp='1411692732' post='2562044']
I cant access anything on soundcloud either, even my own account, its got to be a problem at there end. :(
[/quote]

Back in business, hoping it stays that way...

We are fast entering a space where the compositions all have considerable merit but, in having to choose one, we are forced to exclude the rest as if we are in some way critical of them. I voted for Leonard's because I loved the freedom within it. A flock of birds is not a predictable entity, something I was trying to convey in my own thing, but I thought LS's piece reflected that 'chaos' much more readily than I was able to.

The beauty of the human eye. Everyone views something in a different way.
A flock of birds to me sometimes looks like a tight squadron flying around, not chaotic,
unless being stalked or attacked.

Skols picture to me looked a like a squadron of Lancasters ready to take off at night,
with the old squadron leader of base CO keeping a watchful eye from a distance.
Then again I am not a bird watcher, so what do I know.... :D
Bats in my garden at sun set, now that's a different matter...Stunning! :)

Here's the (now traditional...) cross-link to the sister Challenge : BC Photos. Same principle; inspect all the entries and vote for your favourite. They are excellent. The theme this month was 'Looking through...' Here's the link...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/244366-september-photo-comp-2014-voting-time/page__pid__2562100__st__30#entry2562100"]BC September Photo Challenge ...[/url]

Edited by Dad3353

I know it gets said often (because it's true), but this month it's proving [i]especially[/i] difficult for me to pick a favourite because they're all very good and very different.

I usually listen to them all, sleep on it, and then choose whichever track is most lodged in my head the next day. But then some months I just make a snap decision if one entry really grabs me in the moment.

Always tricky... but I do strangely enjoy the process of picking a favourite, as on some deeper level it makes me listen to each track more intently and consider what really constitutes my own 'taste' in music - as well as what I think best represents the picture (so it's a kind of audio-visual thing).

But whatever... it's fun, innit :D

It's the best fun. Composing is the most satisfying aspect of music for me at the moment, not because I am particularly good at it but because I can see things getting more sophisticated every time I try a new idea. It also helps me learn more about the IT side, the recording side, the composing software etc etc and, at the end of it, I have something of value in each piece. Brilliant fun.

SoundCloud is suffering from technical problems again...

"We’ve received several user reports of trouble loading SoundCloud, and our engineers are currently working to get service restored to everyone. We’ll update you here when we have more information."

Must be the thousands of Basschatters flocking to listen to this month's compositions... I'm sure that must be it :D

They're normally quick to get things fixed so normal service will no doubt resume shortly.

If in doubt check here:

http://status.soundcloud.com

Edited by Skol303

Seems to be OK for now.

Take it in turns, maybe..? Don't all rush in at once. Those with pseudos beginning with 'A', 00h00 till 01h00, those starting with 'B': 01h00-02h00, 'C' can go in 02h00-03h00 and so on. No pushing at the back; take it easy, there's enough for us all, [i]IF[/i] we don't panic. Be careful; it's tough out there. Dismiss... :mellow:

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1411768313' post='2562749']
Seems to be OK for now.

Take it in turns, maybe..? Don't all rush in at once. Those with pseudos beginning with 'A', 00h00 till 01h00, those starting with 'B': 01h00-02h00, 'C' can go in 02h00-03h00 and so on. No pushing at the back; take it easy, there's enough for us all, [i]IF[/i] we don't panic. Be careful; it's tough out there. Dismiss... :mellow:
[/quote]
:lol: :lol:
[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1411743880' post='2562483']
It's the best fun. Composing is the most satisfying aspect of music for me at the moment, not because I am particularly good at it but because I can see things getting more sophisticated every time I try a new idea. It also helps me learn more about the IT side, the recording side, the composing software etc etc and, at the end of it, I have something of value in each piece. Brilliant fun.
[/quote]

I see it much the same and use the mixing challenge as a learning tool in a similar way

The deed is done. No regrets concerning my choice, excepting the sensation that the others are worthy of recognition, too. No point waffling on yet again about the high standard, the imagination, the technical abilities, the suitability regarding the photo, the ... You see..? The list goes on and on, month after month. There will be a 'winner' (in that one will capture more votes...) but, in truth, all are already up there on the top rung of the podium. Which is a tad above the others on that step..? Irrelevant, really...

Don't let me prevent you from voting, of course..! Your decision counts, and counts for much. There are no losers, however, only winners.
My favourite..? Well, if you must know, it's...
[spoiler] ...an almost too late entry from lowdown, which combined even more of the criteria that I use for deciding : fitting to the picture, imagination in the composition, subtlety in the arrangement, technical virtuosity, not excerpt from humour. All the others had many, or even all of these qualities; his had the most, imo. Well done, all.[/spoiler]

Edited by Dad3353

You lot should get a little collective together and start trying to score some independent films :). Seriously, I know it's almost a cliché now to state that the quality of the compositions gets better every month, but it really does.
Up until this months offerings I don't think I've actually voted once for my actual favourite piece of music to listen to out of the contenders as I always go for the piece that "scores" the photo best (for me).
Well, this month's music has been the hardest to pick from as all your scoring chops have improved greatly and they all spoke to me in their own way and did indeed really suit the photo so well.
Dad got my vote in the end as, for me personally, his tune scored the piccy wonderfully and actually got me bopping around my kitchen in the process!
Thanks Dad and congrats to everyone as you should all be proud of yourselves!

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1412109882' post='2565824']
You lot should get a little collective together and start trying to score some independent films :). Seriously, I know it's almost a cliché now to state that the quality of the compositions gets better every month, but it really does.

[/quote]

Quite bizarrely , I had a discussion about the film idea the other day with my lad , I played the entries through to him and he actually mentioned a competition to score his next short film :blink: .
I intend to keep the idea in loose discussion with him to see if it will gain any legs , but he can make a film , and the BC composers can certainly do a tune or two .
Dont hold your collective breath , but if it shows promise I will liase with Skol to asses the feasibility of the idea.

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1412111497' post='2565864']

Quite bizarrely , I had a discussion about the film idea the other day with my lad , I played the entries through to him and he actually mentioned a competition to score his next short film :blink: .
I intend to keep the idea in loose discussion with him to see if it will gain any legs , but he can make a film , and the BC composers can certainly do a tune or two .
Dont hold your collective breath , but if it shows promise I will liase with Skol to asses the feasibility of the idea.
[/quote]

:) and why not? Onwards and upwards!

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1412111497' post='2565864']

[/quote]

:) and why not? (Barry Norman pun not intended)

Onwards and upwards!

Edited by miles'tone