Why become a member? ×

September Composition Challenge - VOTING!

Skol303

606 views, though; that's not too bad, I suppose..? Maybe our compo's should be shorter..? 15"..? Sound-bites, anyone..? I'm holding back on my symphonies for now, and Wagner's Ring cycle hasn't a chance in hell..! 36 minutes per month. Yeah, right. Life is, indeed, short. Back to the ring mains, then... :rolleyes:[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1412021965' post='2565036']
I was most pleased to get a vote so early in the proceedings, many thanks , I normally seem to land one right at the death , I think there is a vote fairy that soothes my ego for my really dodgy entries :lol:
[/quote]

That was me :-)
I thought Dad was going to get my vote as he won me over quite quickly with a great tune with lovely deep bass, but then I heard yours:
I love the mood of the jazz tune, and adore the morse code beeps. A really great contrast which is both quirky and effective.

Well done the rest of you too :-)

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1412163569' post='2566275']
I thought Dad was going to get my vote as he won me over quite quickly with a great tune with lovely deep bass, but then I heard yours:
I love the mood of the jazz tune, and adore the morse code beeps. A really great contrast which is both quirky and effective.

[/quote]

([i]Deep guttural sounds emerge from an irate throat, rising to an almost ultrasonic shriek... "I wuz robbed..!" Tears gush forth, wetting socks and slippers. The salt content will do them no good. A breast is beat (in time, too..!), but not bared; one has to retain a minimum of decorum, and it would not do to over-excite the fairer members of the forum. "I"ll have my revenge, just you wait and see..! Where's my kazoo..? What..? I've not got a kazoo..? Doh..!" A forehead is smitten, followed by a dull thud of an inert body slumping to the floor. Silence ensues[/i]...)

[quote name='gapiro' timestamp='1412165178' post='2566306']
Hm. I haven't decided yet. I've goti t down to 3 to choose from. so half way to getting a vote in place.....
[/quote]

Good man. Have you received my cheque yet..? ;)[size=4] [/size]

Ok, Gone for Skol. Really enjoyed it. My other two were between Lurksalot and Lowdown. Lurksalot [url="http://xkcd.com/356/"]nerd sniped[/url] me with the morse code and therefore upset me. (I really want to know what it says) Lowdown really enjoyed the main theme.

[quote name='gapiro' timestamp='1412165522' post='2566310']
Ok, Gone for Skol. Really enjoyed it. My other two were between Lurksalot and Lowdown. Lurksalot [url="http://xkcd.com/356/"]nerd sniped[/url] me with the morse code and therefore upset me. (I really want to know what it says) Lowdown really enjoyed the main theme.
[/quote]
[quote name='gapiro' timestamp='1412165550' post='2566311']
It bounced :o
[/quote]

Good..! :angry:[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1412165734' post='2566318']
Good..! :angry:
[/quote]
That post, followed by
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Have a nice day[/size][/font][/color]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]made me spit coffee....[/size][/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]All the entries were top quality, and make me very jealous![/size][/font]

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1412111497' post='2565864']I had a discussion about the film idea the other day with my lad... he can make a film , and the BC composers can certainly do a tune or two.[/quote]

I think it would be fun to use a video clip as the inspiration one month - and much better to use a 'real' video with links to the BC family, than some stock footage.

The only consideration is that we tried this about a year ago and it tanked... I think we had three entries and a lot of folks struggled with the technical aspects of syncing their music to the film. Bear in mind that it was more of a 'slideshow' than an actual 'movie' (it was a compilation of still images from that year's Composition Challenge), so some actual footage may be more inspiring - and we could perhaps avoid worrying about the music and film being synced together, for those that don't have the software to do this.

Anyway... certainly an idea to keep hold of :)

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1412160006' post='2566208']
fifty squillion members on this here forum and only sixteen bother to come and vote

sigh.... :huh:[/quote]

Yup! 'Tis the norm, sadly. But it's also very typical of pretty much every music forum, where lots of people share their efforts and very few bother to listen or leave comment.

I'm guilty of it myself - I don't spend nearly enough time leaving feedback in the 'Share Your Music' forum here on Basschat. But I probably do more than most ;) I think a lot of it is down to a combination of:[list]
[*]People being a lot less interest in new music than they might admit to.
[*]A tendancy for folks to use forums for the purpose of discussing their own interests (and especially gear!) - rather than paying attention to those of others.
[*]30 minutes of listening being more than some people are willing to commit to.
[/list]
It [i]is[/i] a shame... but as the saying goes, you can only "lead a horse to water", etc, etc. I think ultimately - and evidently - it's very possible to have a keen interest in [i]playing[/i] music (or certainly [i]owning[/i] the equipment to play music) without actually having much interest in [i]listening[/i] to music. If that makes any sense? Probably not.

But regardless. It doesn't deter us :)

Edited by Skol303

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1412163569' post='2566275']

[/quote]

Many thanks , that is awesome :D
[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1412166245' post='2566330']
I think it would be fun to use a video clip as the inspiration one month - and much better to use a 'real' video with links to the BC family, than some stock footage.

The only consideration is that we tried this about a year ago and it tanked... I think we had three entries and a lot of folks struggled with the technical aspects of syncing their music to the film. Bear in mind that it was more of a 'slideshow' than an actual 'movie' (it was a compilation of still images from that year's Composition Challenge), so some actual footage may be more inspiring - and we could perhaps avoid worrying about the music and film being synced together, for those that don't have the software to do this.

Anyway... certainly an idea to keep hold of :)

[/quote]
I recall that quite well and was kind of why I didn't bite the lads hands off with the idea , but never say never I reckon :rolleyes: