Why become a member? ×

NBD - Squire VM Jazz content plus - which colour pickguard? Now with pics!

Mornats

Yeah, there's about half an inch gap around the neck pickup and big trench heading towards the control plate so it doesn't look nice at all without one. I guess that's a big difference between the US made ones and the Squires. I took this pick to get an idea of how the pup was fixed in place but you can see what I mean.

[attachment=172802:DSC_0207.JPG]

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1412001746' post='2564726']
Did you do any mods to yours Valhalalf? Thinking of doing any?
[/quote]

I've been thinking about modding it, maybe swapping out the pickups/pre-amp or fitting a new bridge, since I've had it. I've not done anything though, probably because i'm happy with it as it is. I had the 4 string version originally that I fitted EMG pups to. Nice sound but again, not sure it really needed it.

If you're happy with how it sounds/plays/looks leave it as is.

Mornats

How about getting a clear scratchplate and putting a printed graphic below it. You could try all manner of colours
that way.

I had the idea a while back to use on an old Westone Concord I'd stripped. Scanned in the back then matched up the grain in photoshop.

Idea was scrapped though and I went with faux leather in homage to an old Wal I had. Faux leather was easier to find on a Sunday morning.

[quote name='Valhalalf' timestamp='1411994217' post='2564605']
I am a huge fan of the Squire VM range and have owned and gigged a natural jazz V for over three years now. Never had any issues with it and plays beautifully. In that time I've owned several other basses which I gig with for a while, but for some reason I just keep going back to the Squier.

I had an impulse buy and picked one of the FSR 4 string models up the other month.

[/quote]

That is my perfect looking bass in terms of colour, neck and block inlays. Never been able to find a FSR available so think you were lucky to get one!

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1412083298' post='2565441']
How about getting a clear scratchplate and putting a printed graphic below it. You could try all manner of colours
that way.
[/quote]

That's a cracking idea mate. I would probably want to chop and change if I were putting custom designs in there. Thanks for the idea!

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1412083298' post='2565441']
Faux leather was easier to find on a Sunday morning.
[/quote]

Isn't it just?

Try this outfit for the DIY approach.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Clear-Acrylic-Perspex-Plastic-Sheet-Custom-Sizes-2mm-6mm-Thick-Material-/200980451609?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=500196578712&hash=item2ecb5e5119

And this fella says he'll refund if it don't fit,just leave the plastic on it until you're 100% sure.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLEAR-SCRATCHPLATE-PICKGUARD-FOR-FENDER-JAZZ-BASS-NEW-/151424450432?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item234199bf80

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1412186359' post='2566626']
I was also thinking of black hardware too but I should really stop now :)
[/quote]

Don't even start! It'll end up looking like a dog's breakfast!! A dog's breakfast that's been to the circus!!
...A dog's breakfast that's been to the circus and crapped its pants on the way home!! :lol:

I REALLY want another VM Jazz. I've had 2 and moved them on when cash was needed. The last one I bought from a mate, who had done a few modifications. It had a babicz bridge and a tort pickguard - which I belive was bought as very old stock, a Fender original for Japanese Jazz basses. It was a great fit for the squier. It has since been sold again and I'm trying to find out who has it so I can buy it back!!

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1412191496' post='2566688']
Spoilsport :P
[/quote]

I'm sure there must be lots of other ways of expressing yourself artistically without ruining the look of your bass... :P ;)

I'll keep it as it is.
[/quote]

Yay!

For now.
[/quote]

Boo!

Edited by discreet

So, I got my clear perspex scratchplate today and after a little filing it fits quite nicely. It just needed a 1mm trim around the neck socket and the back of the pickup hole. I printed off a design, miraculously guessed the correct size when resizing it, dusted off my printer that I've not used for 3.5 years and coaxed it back to life. So, even though you guys have convinced me that it's a stunning bass as is, I've popped on an alternative scratchplate. I may alternate between this, the original black and any others that take my fancy.

Here it is, perhaps not for everyone but I like it for now :)

[attachment=173036:10552483_10152324217506555_3120080939812933437_n.jpg]

• 3 weeks later...

Righto, I recorded some sound clips of this bass as I wanted to do a comparison between the Fender nickels and the new Elixir steel strings I put on it.

Details over yonder: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/247688-new-string-day-elixir-steel-coated-strings-with-sound-test-against-fender-7250ml-nickels-on-my-squire-vm-jazz/"]http://basschat.co.u...squire-vm-jazz/[/url]

Edited by Mornats

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I couldn't resist a bit of a mod :) I want to try some new pickups in this so was recommended a KiOgon wiring loom to help with it. What I wasn't expecting was the improvement in sound from just having the new loom in there.

Check out the thread about this upgrade over yonder: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/248196-help-a-newbie-change-pickups/"]http://basschat.co.u...change-pickups/[/url]

Also, it now looks like this:

[attachment=175148:10441092_10152380975731555_8478649244783291695_n.jpg]

So rather than the silver Squire knobs it now has proper Fender knobs on it.

Edited by Mornats