Why become a member? ×

Duke in da house

artisan

New Duke Double Bass Day :D
well ok it was just over a week ago really but i've been busy slapping.
i can't believe just how good this bass is,my Strunal was a good bass but this is just so much better its untrue.
construction is excellent,it is so much easier to play,it weighs a lot less & most importantly it sounds so so good being much warmer/deeper/punchier than my old bass.
i've had it for 10 days now & its already done 2 gigs :)
i get no feedback at all with this beauty either,i couldn't be happier.
love it
love it
love it (if it had lady parts i would probably make love to it :) )
[url="http://s88.photobucket.com/user/artisan1967/media/P1000408_zps165365ad.jpg.html"][/url]
[URL=http://s88.photobucket.com/user/artisan1967/media/P1000409_zpsf55eb337.jpg.html][IMG]http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k161/artisan1967/P1000409_zpsf55eb337.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
[URL=http://s88.photobucket.com/user/artisan1967/media/P1000407_zps00187afc.jpg.html][IMG]http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k161/artisan1967/P1000407_zps00187afc.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Edited by artisan

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1411906633' post='2563720']
Thats reet perty! Lovely bass, that man
[/quote]
cheers Clarky,it is a beaut' for sure
[quote name='keeponehandloose' timestamp='1411906734' post='2563723']
very nice. will it be at the Derby Bass Bash
next week?
[/quote]
i can't make the bash i'm afraid :(

Good on ya mate! It looks fantastic! You deserve it!
May I add, Dukes are not only outstanding for rockabilly. I play all manner of influences (apart from classical) and it does it all with a majestically deep bassy sound. I took what could be regarded as a foolish gamble on a Duke just as Thomas was preparing to launch them. Quality-wise, the only alternative would have been importing an American Standard and I didn't fancy that. I couldn't find a suitable vintage Kay, so I chanced my luck. Thomas knows his stuff and he's amongst the nicest guys on the bass planet. 4 years later, my chocolate brown custom Duke is a like a family member to me!
Many happy Duke years to you my friend!

[quote name='Rabbie' timestamp='1411918880' post='2563878']
Good on ya mate! It looks fantastic! You deserve it!
May I add, Dukes are not only outstanding for rockabilly. I play all manner of influences (apart from classical) and it does it all with a majestically deep bassy sound. I took what could be regarded as a foolish gamble on a Duke just as Thomas was preparing to launch them. Quality-wise, the only alternative would have been importing an American Standard and I didn't fancy that. I couldn't find a suitable vintage Kay, so I chanced my luck. Thomas knows his stuff and he's amongst the nicest guys on the bass planet. 4 years later, my chocolate brown custom Duke is a like a family member to me!
Many happy Duke years to you my friend!
[/quote]
cheers Rabbie & many thanks for your help in making my decision,you are a gent'
[quote name='TPJ' timestamp='1411925777' post='2563980']
Great stuff. Serious Duke envy here :) I'm after a peacemaker but sadly can't begin to think about it until next year.
[/quote]
its well worth the expense,this is just in a different league to my old Strunal,although that was a good bass too but not a patch on the Duke.

[quote name='alexpea' timestamp='1411978962' post='2564415']
Lovely bass :)

Do they construct them differently to a standard bass in any way? To suit slapping and for feedback resistance?
[/quote]
cheers :)

on the Duke site Thomas (great bloke) mentions that most bass manufacturers make their laminate basses in the exact same way they make their carved basses,just using plywood instead,where as Thomas designed his basses specifically for roots/rockabilly music.
either way the only way i get any feed back now is if i have too much sub bass on the preamp,my usual thing now is to turn up the sub bass until i get deep bass feedback then back that off until i'm feedback free,this gives me a wonderful deep thumping tone with no feedback at all,even stood in front of my amp'.

Edited by artisan

[quote name='artisan' timestamp='1411978807' post='2564409']

Rev - Thomann sell some Duke basses which is where i bought mine,the price is the same as buying direct but with Thomann the shipping is free & you get their 3 year warranty.
[/quote]

Cheers - my GAS has now been reignited....

[quote name='artisan' timestamp='1411906043' post='2563710']
(if it had lady parts i would probably make love to it :) )

[/quote]

Hmm - those f holes look pretty big...

[quote name='TheRev' timestamp='1412005743' post='2564762']
Cheers - my GAS has now been reignited....

Hmm - those f holes look pretty big...
[/quote]
lol :D
[quote name='paddy109' timestamp='1412022566' post='2565044']
Ahhhhhhhh I have been dreading the pictures and review of your Duke. What a beauty. Just as I had come to the conclusion I would stick with my 50\4 for a few more years.

Glad you are very happy with her?

Do you mind pm'ing me what she cost including the shipping?
[/quote]
my 50/4 was a very good bass but is just not in the same league as my Duke.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1412167346' post='2566347']
What a beauty!

Just had a look on the Duke site (can't speak german).

Which model do you have? The bridge radius looks a bit flat for bow use - is it really for pizz / slap?
[/quote]
why thank you :)
Mine is a Two Tone model.
It is setup for slap/pizz so as you say a pretty flat radius & it doesn't have a Romberg bevel either.