Why become a member? ×

A question for chorus pedal users.

Mr Anthony

Hello!

I've got chorus pedal, only a cheap Behringer unit. It's a bit naff, and tends to still colour the signal when it's deactivated.

Regardless, my question is what do you guys use chorus for?

I met a guy at a gig recently who said he uses chorus to thicken the sound since they only had the one guitarist.

I want to know really, what I could actually be using the effect for, because if I don't really have a use for it, I can save a space on my board for something else.

:)

Cheers!
Anthony.

[quote name='Mr Anthony' timestamp='1411930118' post='2564053']
...my question is what do you guys use chorus for?

I met a guy at a gig recently who said he uses chorus to thicken the sound since they only had the one guitarist.[/quote]

I think the worst reason for using an effect is 'It thickens'.

Nobody wants to listen to thick. Thick isn't interesting. I'll concede that 'thin' isn't interesting either, but if your music is going to live or die by being thick or thin then you've got bigger problems than your pedal collection.

I never use chorus. I use **** tons of effects and I never use chorus. If there's something that needs to sound absolutely massive then there are ways and means, and you need to get 90% of the way there before you turn on a chorus pedal. And even then you'll either sound like Peter Hook or Simon Gallup or (if you've got fuzz too) like you're aping that tired old Dubstep sound.

If that's what you're going for then definitely keep the chorus pedal.

Cheers guys,

It's good to know it actually has some uses. I've no intention of using it to thicken the sound, I just thought it might enhance paticular parts of a song, etc. I paid £7 so it's no loss if it ends up going.

I'll keep having a play, see if I can get a useable sound out of it, and if not I'll gain a space back on my board.

Cheers! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have seen the light!

So last night I had a gig, and tried out my pedalboard for the first time in a proper situation and it was great! I didn't use the chorus once though. Then, today at practice we tried some new tracks out, and on one of them I combined my new reverb pedal with my chorus pedal, and the sound was absolutely perfect! Throw in a little overdrive in the chorus and it was spot on!

Very much impressed. Chorus works and shall stay on my board. Just need one with true bypass though! Haha. :D

One thing to watch for. If another instrument is using chorus (or other modulation effects) at the same time as you, listen to the overall song to check that things aren't getting muddy or lost.
It'd be great if modulation fx could be synced.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Ruck' timestamp='1415234045' post='2598352']
Im not really a fan of chorus myself. Rather use detune. Is that any different? when ever I think of bass chorus this guy always pops up:

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PGOP9J1uAg"]https://www.youtube....h?v=2PGOP9J1uAg[/url]
[/quote]

i have no idea why but i really dislike that guy, the new guy joe has just fits so much better!

but sorry for the derail!

andy

I just added T.C. Electronics Chorus to my board (2nd tier 2nd from the left). I am not sure what I am going to use it for.

I use my MXR Bass Octave to thicken the bands sound when the guitarist is taking a solo. It's a stronger foundation and makes the band sound bigger. But you have to be careful, you can't go crazy and I get the best results from playing closed, no open strings and I am usually grooving up around the 9th fret and higher.

I read from another guy here that he uses his chorus for the same thing so I might try it.

Blue

Edited by blue

I have an EBS uni-chorus. I I like the effect when messing around but I don't use it for any of my live bass playing. I do use it in another band with both my lead and electro-acoustic. To my ear it adds more to lead work than to a bass sound in a band context.