Why become a member? ×

Truss rod tribulations (Ibanez content!)

PlungerModerno

OK so I have, for shame :unsure:, had a unmarked NBD.
I basically got a working fixer upper and have been tweaking - so had no real decent sounds & pics to share.

It's a 1999 Ibanez Ergodyne EDC 705, the one with a plastic body:

[attachment=172743:P1000456_small.JPG]

[attachment=172744:P1000458_small.JPG]

It's pretty cool, sounds awesome and can play OK. Everything works but it was a little neglected, maladjusted - like 50% of the instruments out there.

The truss rod works (YAY!) but between myself and the previous owner(s) the hex nut was worn (especially the outer part which I may have turned from slightly worn to ringed :angry: Yes I should have checked the seating more carefully before turning like an idiot!!!).

I was figuring the nut could use a replacement before it got worn completely (and much harder to remove & replace).
While assessing the wear I shone a light and saw something weird - what appeared to be a chunk of metal missing....

I took the nut off completely for inspection. what do you think?

[attachment=172745:P1000476_cropped.JPG]

[attachment=172746:P1000480_cropped.JPG]

OK.... Anyone know what happened there?

Looks like I need a new truss rod nut. Am I correct in assuming Ibanez are not really available for support?
If I can source a replacement with the correct thread locally that'll be ideal. I'll have to do some calling around!
Then with a little fretwork and a setup this girl should be back in action!!!!

P.S. Is there much variety in truss rod nuts? this appears to be the regular 4mm `import' fenderish style.
I assume it's just like any other nut, if I match the threading rate and radius it should work...

Edited by PlungerModerno

• 1 month later...

OK - It's been a little while.

I took a chance on this: [url="http://www.customworldguitarparts.com/default/1-truss-rod-nut-4mm-and-10-32-thread-guitar-bass.html"]http://www.customwor...uitar-bass.html[/url]

Turns out it works just fine!

[attachment=174927:P1000510_small.JPG]

Here it is in it's new home! It fits fine - although the bass plays wonderfully now (will have to show it doing it's thing at some point) I will replace the nut shortly - it's a bit rough and needed a shim to get the action back to working order.