Why become a member? ×

G&L bridge saddle adjustment screw size

Romeo2

Thanks neepheid, had a look in there - but it seems they mean the allen wrench for height.

I am looking for info on size of the screw that you use to set the length of the string (intonation setting, is that what it is called?) moving the saddle towards or away from the neck (I am hopelessly non-technical so sorry if this sounds a bit convoluted for what I am asking for!)

[quote name='Romeo2' timestamp='1411999168' post='2564687']
small/medium ish size, gotchya ;) pretty sure people at my local Maplins will know [i]exactly[/i] what I need :D

(sorry guys, I know it's all obvious when you have a couple of screwdrivers and you just use one that fits best - but alas, I have none at the moment!)
[/quote]

Well it's more about matching it +/- 1 or 2 mm as opposed to an exact match e.g. like a hex nut.

see below pic:

As long as it's not far too big (or small) such that It won't have a firm grip on the screw head, and that it will fit into the recess where the screw is located.
Quick tip with the G&L adjustable saddle system - make sure the locking set screw is loose if adjusting for intonation, and make sure the saddle has room to adjust when doing so. They are [s]captive screws[/s] closed at one end so observe carefully. I would recommend loosening the string you're working on and seeing if the saddle moves when the screw is turned. Best to not have it snap in to place when tuning up.

Edited by PlungerModerno

• 1 month later...

PlungerModerno, thank you, that's very useful.

In the end I think I found a very close match, of the 3 Pozi ones in this set, the middle one does the job: http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/rolson-6-part-screwdriver-set-n66ct (and the smallest one fits perfectly in the intonation screws in the Squier VM bridge).

Funny thing about the saddle-lock screw in those G&L bridges. When I bought my first G&L that screw was missing so I emailed the shop, they apologised and sent me one in the post. That was in the L2000, I put it in, tightened it, thought it actually made a difference in the phatness of the sound. Great.

Some time later I bought the M2000 and once I did the intonation setup I tightened the screw, then when I tried untightening it it just stayed in place.

Turns out there is a piece of plastic between the screw and the G string saddle which I was unaware of since it was not there in the L2000 bridge. I tightened it too much so the plastic compressed and would not move back (in fact, would not move at all). I had to dismantle the G saddle to get it out, had to discard it and it is now just the screw tightening the bridge, just as I have it in the L2000. It probably does not make a huge difference and I am not sure why that plastic thing is there at all.

Anyway - I hope this is enlightening to those who have that bridge and were wondering what the heck is going on inside of it.