Why become a member? ×

Fingerstyle with arthritis?

Heket

Hi all,

I have a problem in that my hands and wrists are riddled with arthritis and my tendons are damaged, causing deformities in the fingers and wrists. However, I am determined to learn the bass. I have been playing for nearly a year now and I enjoy fingerstyle for the feel and tone, but find it exhausting for my right hand. Playing like this I can barely manage 15 minutes of solid play time.

Recently I went on holiday and grew my nails out and upon my return forgot to trim them before playing. I found that with the added volume and accuracy of my nails hitting the string I could play for much longer! The only problem with this is that it just sounds like I'm playing with a pick :(

On brief research it seems that fingerstyle with nails is just not "done". Should I just resign myself to playing with a pick? Does anyone else here suffer from arthritis (any type, mine is rheumatoid), if so how do you play?

Hi Heket,

I have arthritis that comes & goes (like it does) when it's bad it stops me playing for long if at all & 'style' goes out the window :rolleyes: Does it matter to you if it sounds like pick playing, as long as you're happy playing what does it matter? B) I'm sure it's been done before :D

[quote name='Heket' timestamp='1412012072' post='2564860']
... On brief research it seems that fingerstyle with nails is just not "done" ...
[/quote]
According to whom?

I really don't like it myself and keep my nails very short but I know other bassists playing with long nails and I've read an interview with Duck Dunn saying he liked his nails catch the strings.

Nails or no nails, it's up to you.

Also, move nearer the neck, roll off the treble, it might not sound like fleshy fingertips but lots of different sounds are available still.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone, it really means a lot. I did a google search which came up with a few forum posts from sites such as talkbass, ultimate guitar and even a thread on this site which generally showed a distaste for fingernails. I don't always like the bright sound, but it is true I haven't done as EssentialTension has mentioned yet, different positions and rolling off treble.

I like fingerstyle because I like the feel and tone of it. If in using my nails I lose the tone but still have the feel then it's still one step better than using a pick! My nails are industrial strength, so no worries about them breaking, not with the small amounts that I'll play. I'll probably never be in a band, not seriously, so I doubt my play style will gather too many comments.

I didn't mean anything specific, more just a general point.

Does lower tension help?

Flats with a pick (or nails) is going to sound different to rounds. New rounds are going to sound 'louder' in the 'brighter' sense.

So, I'm not suggesting anything particular, just saying there might be something in it for you to be thinking about strings.

Good on you for being so determined to learn.

I have arthritis in both hands, it comes and goes and as yet is not too serious. On the days when it's painful, particularly if it's a gig day, then I just play in whatever way is least painful. Thumb if I have to, and then swap between fingers and pick.

If you do end up playing with a pick, don't consider it a fail. Musicians who say that playing with a pick is somehow wrong or shows less skill, should be ashamed of themselves. Its a totally relevant technique and for some music is almost essential and much more efficient than fingers or thumb. Ideally a bass player should be able to employ all of the techniques.

Oh I see. I can look at different strings, I've only ever had the factory ones and these Ernies on. Actually I think a higher tension would be better, wouldn't that make it easier to coax out a sound than something floppier? I'm not an engineer, just using my gut :unsure: I don't particularly want to look at higher gauges because that'll start taxing my left hand, but I'll definitely look into strings a bit more. My technique is ok as my tutor points out whenever I'm plucking too hard or at the wrong angle, I just don't have the strength.

I do have a nice pick for bass, thick and soft plasticy stuff that doesn't click too much. It's a bit small though.

Have you tried plucking with the pad of your thumb. Now that's Old School Monk Montgomery style.

30 years of chapping nails in and busting fingers has left my hands kinda beat up so when the knuckles tighten up
I just pluck with my thumb.

Like the others have said there's no rules set in stone.

• 2 months later...

Look for YouTube videos of a drummer called Dan Caro. If this guy doesn't say its all about making music despite limitations, then I don't think anyone can. Given your physical limitations, which I share to a degree (plus my own combination of ailments), finding ways to still play a musical instrument is key to fulfilling the need to 'make' music. And I don't mean just sitting in front of a computer pasting samples together!

Just play your bass anyway you need to to express what's inside. Simple.

I don't often post my thoughts as they tend to stir too much emotion and flaming etc in fellow forum users. However, this is an easy topic to tackle in many respects. And 'respect' is a key word.

Cheers Rob.

Good on you for determination. I knwo you're talking mostly about right hand, but for the left maybe think about adopting double bass Simandl type technique? Takes all the strain off the fingers.

As for the right hand, everything is legit imo, including hitting the thing with kitchen implements. :)

Doesn't Steve Harris play with his finger nails? I thought that was where he got that clicking sound from?

Play however you want to, but like others have said, don't think using a pick is a fail. How about doing both? PLay fingerstyle for 15 minutes, and then when your hand gets sore, switch to using a pick. That way you get to play more!

I've used a pick for ages as I broke my middle finger on my right hand and it's a bit bent lol! When I try and play fingerstyle I end up hooking the string all the time, but you just have to make it work for you. Thankfully since I'm in a metal band some of the riffs are far easier with a pick due to the fast tremolo picking etc and the extra attack is a bonus. I guess I should try harder to work around my ailment though lol. Know you are not alone! :P