Why become a member? ×

Bass sound disappears in some stereos!

Thunderpaws

We have self recorded a few songs, just waiting for a time when we can all get in the same room for final mixing and mastering.

When I listen to the rough tracks on my cans or on either of my hifis at home, the bass frequencies, including my bass guitar and the bassier drums, all sound clear and present. However, whenever I listen in either of our cars and on a stereo at work, the bass frequencies seem to almost disappear.

Anyone have any ideas on something we can do so this doesn't happen?

Cheers,

Garry

• 2 weeks later...

Phase Cancelation!!! - although possibly not the case if it sounds fine on one system and strange on another but its still worth checking for it! Im not an expert on the subject buy basically when you have instruments doubled up or sounds taking up in the same frequency range playing at exactly the same time they can cancel each other. for example bass guitar and bass drum can suffer from this problem if not eq'd properly or low end on keys or low bass'y synths.. ect thats the basic jist of it anyway

Good evening, Garry...

Nothing wrong with the tracks on Soundcloud. I'd say the problem is here...

[quote name='Thunderpaws' timestamp='1412012779' post='2564864']...whenever I listen in either of our cars and on a stereo at work, the bass frequencies seem to almost disappear...[/quote]

These systems have one speaker reversed in polarity, and so the bass is 'sucked' from one cone to the other. The solution should be simple: just reverse the connections to one or other of the speakers (left or right, it matters not, but not both..!) in the systems displaying this effect. Listen again, and I'd reckon the phenomenon is fixed. Try it; let us know how it turns out..?
Just my tuppence-worth; hope this helps.