Why become a member? ×

Review of Tricky Audio Greenboy F212

Blartfactor10

[font=Helvetica]Tricky Audio Greenboy F212 cab review. [/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3](Im not Ed Friedland but here goes)[/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]Well I chose a good week to finally pick up my F212 fro Guy Trigg at Tricky HQ near Lincoln UK. Guy gave me a few tips on the set up of the speaker and after a coffee, a play through the speaker with my set up (Boosey Hawkes Excelsior Ply Upright GK Head) and a run down of his gear (Nice Engleheart) I headed back north for a four gig weekend. Thanks Guy. [/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]Fri 26/9/14.[/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]Rose Hill Tavern. Small square bar, no stage, low ceiling. soft furnishings. Holds about 60 people.[/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]One of the good things about the band Fickle Lilly is that we have two professional Sound Engineers in the band so I played bass and got Ally Lee (Who has a good set of lug’s) to tweak the graphic and amp. Two minutes later the whole rig came to life.[/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]I play through a GK 1001 MK 2 with a graphic EQ in the send - return. We took out the low mids on the amp had full mid scoop on the contour slope everything below 100hz with small cuts @ 500hz, 1.25k, 5k, and a nice slap spike @ 6.3k.[/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]So, theres no rumble, the mids are fat, (despite the cut on the amp) the speakers don’t fart out when played hard and it has a nice spitty top end.[/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]Oh and did I mention its LOUD![/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]Geordie Waters our drummer plays a 26” Gretch bass drum miked up through the PA and then fed to his 200w floor monitor. The Guitarist uses a Kemper through the PA and the Keys run through the PA[/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]The Greenboy more than kept up with this, it filled the room and I still had a lot left in the tank, I wasn’t going DI. probably won’t ever have to.[/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]Sat 27/9/14[/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]The Q Jumpers band. Guitars x2 Harp player and a stand up Drummer (small loud kit)[/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]Headed up to the Northumbrian Gliding club to play a bike rally. Not really an outdoor gig as we were set up in the Aircraft Hanger but the Hanger doors were open at one end, big tall stage and a hired in PA rig. I knew the horns were working in the cab as I could here the slap coming back at me a with a few seconds delay. Grrr! A quick line check and we were on. I had no problems hearing the rig and got a thumbs up from one of the bikers who has heard the band before so knows how we sound. No the sound guy didn’t use the DI feed I gave him from the GK, No need I was loud enough……There y’go.[/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]Sat 28/9/14 A night at the Schooner Inn, Gateshead. Fickle Lilly.[/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]Its a long bar, holds about 120 people. no stage.[/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]Again, no problems here with the sound just big smiles off my band mates. Even the drummer can make out my feeble attempts at keeping in time!!![/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]Sun 29/9/14 the Q Jumpers[/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]A real test of this cab. Help! We’re playing in a railway arch, outdoors. Big stage. [/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]The place is so boomy its unreal but y’know what? I didn’t need to alter my eq, just turned the volume up a wee bit. Yes you heard right, turned it up. Thats what I got told to do at the soundcheck? And did it cope with the the Boom***est sound that a band get? Well of course it did. Turns out that its not the bass sound that has a boom, just everyone else.[/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]And why would I want to buy a Greenboy in the first place? Well I’m a bit of a cynic when it comes to buying gear, a lot of it is Snake Oil, but there was one real moment of enlightenment for me. Mark Robertson the bass player from The Legendary Shack Shakers Is a Cabinet Builder so when someone of his standing is building these cabs and using them they have to be that good. I bought this cab without ever hearing it but I did a bit of homework reading the info on the Greenboy website and reading reviews. These cabs are not cheap and I gave the builder a headache by asking for a unique colour scheme and decals But I can assure you that they are worth every penny.[/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]Oh and Ed Friedland has, as I’m writing this posted a review of his Greenboy 112. You want to know what my upright sounds like? It sounds a bit like Ed’s Rockabilly bass but with a bit more of Me in it.[/size][/font]
[attachment=172812:P9290053.JPG]

Edited by Blartfactor10

Yeah, I think these cabs are the way forward. I'm going to be selling my Mesa Walkabout 12 to pay for a F112. I have an EAD 212 which covers everything big but is sometimes to physically big for the stages we play. The F112 will work perfectly for these sorts of spaces.

I was using my F112 for all my gigs and it does the job perfectly.
I have since built a F212 which I use mostly now as I need no PA support with it. It will cope with anything I have to throw at it.
For most venues though the 112 will cope too.
It's great turning up and setting up when the previous band are packing down and wheeling off their refrigerator cab, then watching their jaw drop 😉
We are slowly building an arsenal of demo cabs at TrickyAudio so if you're interested in taking one for a spin. Get in touch.
Hearing is believing and provides a lot more information than a list of numbers 😝