Why become a member? ×

Roland GR 20 Users... HELP!

whentbass

Hello!

Anyone out there use (or have used) a GR20 with a Godin SA bass? I bought a GR20 recently for my SA A5 and can't get the synth sounds to work. Everything's plugged in properly (13 pin GK cable from Bass to GR20, 1/4" jack from guitar out to amp), leads are new and in perfect order and the unit seems to be powering up fine with all the lights on and everything but I'm still not getting the actual synth sounds. Just the sound of my bass.

Help? Anyone?...

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

From Chapter 6 of the user manual:

Regarding GR-20 bass guitar support
The GR-20 you purchased includes system program version 2, which allows the bass guitar range to be supported as well.
By connecting a bass guitar that has a separately sold GK-2B or GK-3B divided pickup (for bass) installed, you can play
the GR-20 from your bass guitar.
When shipped from the factory, the GR-20 is set for use with a guitar. The procedure described below lets you switch the GR-20 between
guitar and bass operation.
* You may repeat this procedure as many times as you like. Furthermore, this procedure will not affect the user patch data.
Switching the GR-20 between bass guitar and guitar operation ..........
1. Switch off the GR-20. Then while holding down the [GK SENS] button, turn on the power.
Shortly afterwards, the display will indicate “ ” or “ .”
2. Use the [NUMBER/VALUE] knob to select bass guitar or guitar operation.
• Bass guitar operation: Turn the [NUMBER/VALUE] knob toward the right (clockwise) to make the display read “ .”
• Guitar operation: Turn the [NUMBER/VALUE] knob toward the left (counterclockwise) to make the display read “ .”
3. Press the [EXIT] button.
The setting will be stored, and you will be in Play mode.
* The decimal point of the display will blink while the setting is being stored. Do not switch off the GR-20’s power while this takes place.
* Please note that the setting will not be stored if you neglect to return to Play mode before you switch off the unit.
* The setting is preserved until you repeat this procedure again.
How the Bass Guitar and Guitar settings differ ...................................
• The range of pitches produced by the GR-20 is switched between guitar and bass guitar ranges.
• In some of the preset patches, this setting causes the actual pitch produced by the synthesizer to be one or more octaves above or
below the pitch that is input. The same applies to user patches that you create based on these preset patches.
(Example) BANK= BASS/GTR No= “Wood Bass”

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1412884025' post='2573037']
That's settings for the GK pickups. Godin use RMC pickups in the saddles.

Found a thread with recomended settings for RMCs.

http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3965.msg26797#msg26797
[/quote]

I'm a former GK30 user, and I used it with a Godin guitar (not bass). Although the different pickup systems will most likely need different sensitivity settings, as demonstrated by that link, I reckon it will still be necessary to select the instrument type as per the manual.