Why become a member? ×

Stentor student vs Zeller

Burg

Hi all,

This is another of those cheap bass threads sorry, but I haven't been able to find the answer through the search function.

I'm in the market for a new double bass and have found 2 within my budget and within driving distance.

One is a Stentor student and the other an Andreas Zeller (which I believe are also made by Stentor).

Which would you go for? Same price etc.

Thanks,

Burg

The Stentor branded basses are made in China at the cheaper end of the range (I don't know about the more expensive models) while the Zeller basses are made in Romania and imported by Stentor. The Stentor student is one of the cheaper models, if I'm thinking of the right one it's a hybrid bass with a stained rosewood fingerboard.
The Zeller basses come in carved, hybrid and laminated models. From the one I tried I have the impression that they can be quite heavily built but otherwise decent, and they have a proper ebony fingerboard. If offered the two at the same price, I'd consider the Zeller first, especially if it's the carved model, but you'd be wise to play both.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

My first DB was a Stentor Student, my second (and still current) is an Andreas Zeller.

Obviously individual basses vary hugely, as do the set-ups and strings and (where used) the pickup arrangements, and there are always better and worse examples out there, but in my own particular experience the two basses are chalk & cheese ... the Zeller cost me three times as much as the Stentor and is easily worth every extra penny.

Ultimately though, there is simply no substitute for playing them both and deciding which you prefer.

It's been a few years since I looked at them (since I've been settled on my old German bass for a while now), but I think the 1950 and Student are the same model. There's also the Student II which is the next step up in the range, these are carved and sound a little nicer to my ears. One thing worth noting is that the Stentor Student basses are at the small end of 3/4 sized. I'm 6'2" and the stock endpins on them aren't long enough for me!

So tried out both basses today. Of the 2 I preferred the Stentor but didn't fall in love with either of them. The Stentor felt easier to play and had a nicer sound, not sure how much of that was due to the rubbish strings and setup on the Zeller that I tried, but the Stentor still had stock strings and hadn't been professionally setup to the knowledge of the seller.

hmmm....the search continues.